Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding a Road King without the shield...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014 | 08:36 AM
Siv24
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I personally never liked a windshield on a Harley. Mainly comes down to i hate the way they look. Im looking at getting a 2014 CVO king and i actually think that windshield looks good. I think cause its smaller and tinted. Might actually ride with it on!LOL...

Rode the bike home with it and sold it within days. Only windshield i'd consider is the CVO RK shield, but its rather pricey. It will fit on pretty much all RK's though.

Old 06-03-2014 | 09:09 AM
MadIrish
Tourer

You aren't alone...I had mine off 2x in 4 years. I came from a shieldless bike.....LOVED the shield in comparison.

Old 06-03-2014 | 09:09 AM
jonly
Advanced

I've never ridden with the windshield on, except from the dealer to home.

Old 06-03-2014 | 09:20 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

If the weather ever gets above 50 degrees in the morning I'll take mine off! But this winter has been brutal...
I never rode a motorcycle with a windshield until I got my first Road King - the benefit to cold weather riding was nice. But as said above I feel like I'm driving a car, not riding a motorcycle. Most of my riding is around 40-50 mph on secondary roads.
I'm planning on using it for my upcoming 2000 mile trip on secondary roads, even if it is going to be 80 degrees for the most part. I hope I'm not making a mistake. Joe

Old 06-03-2014 | 10:03 AM
Fairshake
Cruiser

The RK without the windshield takes on the look of the old FLH that it came from. I rode all my bikes throughout the years with no windshield. My first bike that had one was my 98 RK FLHPI that was purchased in 2004. I rode many a year without one and the worst times to not have a shield is when you hit a rainstorm. I have never had a bike on a trailer in my life and that includes my 6,000 mile round trips from Louisiana to Sturgis. I've reached an age in life where I'm happy to have a bike with one and don't give a squat about what others think; my dues have been paid.

Old 06-03-2014 | 10:22 AM
dplantz
Intermediate
Default Barn door off

I have tried 3-4 times to take it off on my on my 03 RK classic. Like others I dislike the look but I dislike the blast to my ears, my neck skin flapping more! lol

Old 06-03-2014 | 10:50 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain

The only time I take my windshield off now is to clean the bugs off or to take it into the hotel room when traveling. I think Kings look great with or without the shield.

Old 06-03-2014 | 12:00 PM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CRF
Such a personal preference.... I HATE riding with the windshield. Drives me nuts. I took mine off as soon as I got it home from the dealer and its only been back on once. I let myself get talked into trying it out on a 4 day trip... I found it so distracting and annoying i literally almost threw it in a dumpster after the first day. Looks like crap on the bike, blocks my vision, distracts me and the lack of wind in my face reminds me of driving in a car... I get that you might prefer it and thats cool but for me its just not a motorcycle if its got a windshield.
Man, you said it all! I have only used mine 3 times in five years and once was by choice!

Old 06-03-2014 | 12:11 PM
Swamphunter
Road Captain

My shield is off unless I am going on a long road trip or I'm expecting bad weather. Long road trips are because I expect I will hit some sort of weather, and short rides when I expect the weather to be or get bad. I've been on Harleys for 25 years and I love the ride... but have tired of the rain in the face.... lol

Old 06-03-2014 | 12:58 PM
Bitman
Advanced

I have put 1000's of miles on a Harley without a windshield in my younger days. I'm a little older now and really enjoy the comfort of the windshield.
I will sometimes take it off for rides under 55 mph. But at the end of the day I'm physically beat from fighting the wind. I just ordered a Reckless fairing, and I'm looking forward to the comfort along with the tunes. :-)

Quick Reply: Riding a Road King without the shield...