Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antilock- synced breaks skid

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:56 AM
flhxs103
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Antilock- synced breaks skid

I was doing around 60+ on a back road around a small curve when a car pulled out in from of me (Not too bad).
I thought since I have the linked breaks, I should be able to just hit the rear.
I thought wrong. My ars end locked up and swung around on me. I didn't keep it locked up too long of course to see if it would antilock would kick in but I thought it wasn't supposed to skid, especially just the back with linked system.
Oh well back to old school breaking...
No lights or codes showing. Is there any way to check them or troubleshoot with out going back out for a skid test?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Why in the name of God would you only hit the rear brakes when you're going around a curve at 60mph and a car pulls out in front of you?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:52 AM
flhxs103
Road Captain

With linked breaks, it doesn't matter what you use front or back, with antilock, it shouldn't skid. I've been riding over 30 years so I was ready for a failed test. Sliding sideways doesn't scare me when I'm in controll.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 AM
TheFleeg
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flhxs103
I was doing around 60+ on a back road around a small curve when a car pulled out in from of me (Not too bad).
I thought since I have the linked breaks, I should be able to just hit the rear.
I thought wrong. My ars end locked up and swung around on me. I didn't keep it locked up too long of course to see if it would antilock would kick in but I thought it wasn't supposed to skid, especially just the back with linked system.
Oh well back to old school breaking...
No lights or codes showing. Is there any way to check them or troubleshoot with out going back out for a skid test?
You need to read up on linked brakes - one pedal does not control 100% of both sets. Linked will apply a certain % of front if you only press the rear brakes. It's not an either/or situation.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:56 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

With linked breaks, it doesn't matter what you use front or back, with antilock, it shouldn't skid. I've been riding over 30 years so I was ready for a failed test. Sliding sideways doesn't scare me when I'm in controll.
It shouldn't skid, you're right. But using the rear brake only in a corner is begging to high-side.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:19 AM
flhxs103
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TheFleeg
You need to read up on linked brakes - one pedal does not control 100% of both sets. Linked will apply a certain % of front if you only press the rear brakes. It's not an either/or situation.
When linked braking is active, applying the front, rear or both brake controls will apply braking force to both the front and rear brakes in a proportion determined by the Reflex™ <--- harley website.
'05Train,
It was more like a slight curve (enough to make it high side) but none the less your right. Thats why I was prepared for it and waiting to see if it would happen.
Right, Still shouldn't have skidded though

Old 06-02-2014, 10:35 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but were you in the curve when you hit the brakes? Harley (and I'm sure all the rest) advise the ABS system only operates correctly when braking in a straight line.

We practice emergency braking in a curve all the time at work. The first step is to pop the bike upright just before applying maximum threshold braking. Two tires don't have enough traction to hold a curve and emergency brake at the same time. Motorcycle ABS does not work like a car's ABS which allows you to brake while turning.

ABS can't beat the laws of physics. If your rear tire broke traction in a curve for just a moment, the ABS system probably couldn't keep the tire rolling free enough to regain traction. You are lucky you didn't get high sided when you released the brake. Sounds like you were definitely in a tough spot.

As far as the linked aspect goes, I've played with mine quite a bit and you only get maximum braking force by applying both the front and rear. They are obviously linked together when applying either, but maximum braking requires both.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:05 AM
flhxs103
Road Captain

I just read that they (abs) only work when riding straight. I DIDNT know that.
Now I know...

Old 06-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Why in the name of God would you only hit the rear brakes when you're going around a curve at 60mph and a car pulls out in front of you?
That right there makes this suspect to me.....

Old 06-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just read that they (abs) only work when riding straight. I DIDNT know that.
Now I know...
How does the braking system know if you are riding straight or going around a curve? Also, why in the heck would something like that be built into a bike?? I think your source is flawed.....

Quick Reply: Antilock- synced breaks skid