Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antilock- synced breaks skid

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:49 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Never tried the ABS in a corner for obvious reasons. But have done a little practice with it on straight stops. I would suggest you hang on, because they will stop in a big hurry.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

With respect to the OP's experience (glad you are alright!),

Testing on unfamiliar braking (and other) systems is best done in a controlled environment. It is in all of our interests to practice emergency maneuvers often enough that when there is not time to think, our reaction and muscle memory give us a fighting chance of living through the situation.

All the best,

Shane

Old 06-02-2014, 04:57 PM
bbuckis
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2012 Road King Classic with ABS, not synced.
Just last week, and it was my fault for not paying attention. I had to slam down the rear brake pedal. Was doing near 50 mph at the time. Rear tire did lockup for a spilt second and skid. Than the ABS took over and released the tire. I could feel the brakes pulsing after the tire was released. Anti-lock will lock momentarily, even if your going straight.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:15 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,621 Likes on 1,620 Posts

i think i'll just keep my standard braking system that has worked for the last 100 years.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:38 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
i think i'll just keep my standard braking system that has worked for the last 100 years.
after all, you are hardheaded....

Old 06-03-2014, 04:57 AM
paddyh
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my 'local' Harley dealer's website.

The big difference is that ABS on a motorcycle—though a milestone safety innovation—has more limited utility than ABS in a car. The simple fact is, you have to be upright and your wheels have to be straight when braking in an emergency for motorcycle ABS to be effective. The Harley dvd is a very good teaching tool in this regard.
http://thundermountainharley.com/201...or-not-to-abs/

Old 06-03-2014, 05:19 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

To the OP

Anti-lock brakes on a motorcycle only work in a straight line. They do not detect or engage for yaw. There is one motorcycle at the moment (I believe one KTM model) that will work in a curve. That means in 100 years HD will have it on their top of the line model that will cost roughly $350,000.00.

Until then, take yourself a motorcycle riding course and learn what most everyone here knows; how to properly brake in a curve. IE upright the bike to engage maximum braking (not to be confused with trail braking) your life depends on it. As you found out the other day, you don't know what you don't know and what you don't know can kill or maim you.

I say the above because it needed to be said, not because I want to offend you. I'm certain you have people that care for you and I'd be remiss if I didn't do you and them the courtesy of telling you the truth.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:21 AM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

The OP did an experiment, was ready for it to fail.
His story just might help someone down the road. someone who would think motorcycle ABS and/or linked brakes would work in a curve. It does not as the contact patch on both tires is compromised.
Like stated earlier, rider courses are very important. Especially for new riders.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:19 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

"60 plus on a back road".....slow the ***** down maybe...you might live to ride a few more years once you learn what linked braking does and that abs does not work with the wheel skidding sideways. RTFM for your own good.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:02 AM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For the life of me I don't understand when someone purchases something that has safety features and/or equipment they are not familiar with won't educate themselves thoroughly on them. I hate to read instructions and manuals but Harley gave me a DVD with my bike that specificaly speaks to how the ABS works and what it will and will not do. I don't know maybe I'll silly for thinking that Harley spent a couple thousand dollars to produce a DVD on just this one system so maybe it is important enough for me to spend the time to watch it.

This is the second or third thread I have read where people are clueless on what the ABS system can and cannot do. This is why this forum is so successful, it educates all of us.

Quick Reply: Antilock- synced breaks skid