Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK Customs Twin Cam Discrete Head Breather System Kit Part Suggestion (long-winded)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:07 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,230 Likes on 2,463 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
The last thing I want to do is sit in traffic on a motorcycle but sometimes you get stuck like I did last week. I also have the DK 587 A/C but I have the breather bolts. I was sitting on the freeway when my bike started smoking out of the breather vents. Traffic opened up and I was on my way till the next stop...all good but in a few minutes it smoked again. When I got home, there was a mist of oil all over the right side.

I keep the oil level between the marks and have never had oil mist breathing out of those vent in 7,000 miles until that day. I went on a nice 300 mile tour this weekend and had oil all over the side - no traffic, no racing, just cruising.

Looks like I'll need to change something up.
Sounds like your engine may have gotten so hot that it compromised the filters in the breather bolts. You should have received an extra pair with them, I would try replacing the ones in there. If can't find them, just email or call and we'll send you a few extra.

You can do some things to cool the bike down for the next time you get caught like that, then you won't have that problem again. Or, if you prefer, you can just change to a system like the Discrete Head Breather or the Premium Discrete. Then no matter how hot you run you won't have anything like that happen again.

Originally Posted by C908
I might be able to save you some time since I experienced the same thing. First thing I did was remove the breather bolts that have the little screens in them. I reinstalled my stock breather bolts using thread sealant and nylon washers. I ran a rubber hose under the AC using a brass T fitting. I ran a single hose to the ground not using any kind of filter or catch can. My problem seems to be solved but I will know for sure after I get back from my 3,000 mile road trip.
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
I just drilled and tapped my SE housing for hose fittings and ran hose to ground.
Both good options, but with a raw hose and no filter on the end, these guys running so hot will end up dripping oil on the garage floor, or wherever the bike decides to marks its' spot.

IMO it's best to take steps to use the HD Corporate recommended viscosity oil for the temps being ridden in. (NOT what most dealers recommend) And to take steps to cool down the bike...it is possible to do, even in stop and go traffic.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-04-2014, 06:50 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX
MAN! that picture is small as hell haha. Possible for a better pic. Sounds like an easy fix that can be done to the SE housing.. Thanks
Here ya go. Will also work on Ness and others. Just make sure the fittings are flush or lower so oil will drain. Had to do a little filing on one.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 06-04-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:24 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Here ya go. Will also work on Ness and others. Just make sure the fittings are flush or lower so oil will drain. Had to do a little filing on one.
How do you make sure the fitting are flush, and still tight?

Thanks

Old 06-05-2014, 07:08 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by drspencer

Thanks
Use teflon tape on the threads and they will hold in place and not leak. The nipples will have a flat surface that is butting up against a round surface, so it is not going to be flush except at the apex.

The teflon tape (like used for plumbing) will act as both a thread-locker and will seal to prevent any oil traveling down the threads and dripping.

Decades ago, when the EPA first mandated recirculating the hot oily air into the intake, this is how many of us got around it.

Now there are more aesthetically pleasing ways (and less labor intensive ways) to do the same thing, like the Outlaw Breather Bolts and the Premium Discrete Breather System, there are also some very fancy catch can systems, but the method pictured by Oldhippie will work just as well.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:22 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer

Thanks

Screw them in and use a round file if they stick up.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:54 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

The Premium Discrete Head Breather System now comes with the High Temp Black T AND a Brass T, so you can use whichever one matches your bike the best.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:42 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had a DK customs outlaw on my bike I made my own kit after trying the aluminum breather bolts with filters which here in Vegas in the summer means top end engine smoke drifting right back in your face at a stop light in 115 degree weather.

Brass t connectors are cheap at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, and pretty much any hardware store that carriers brass plumbing parts. The auto parts stores all carry various types of hose for fuel, vacuum, etc so was pretty cheap to make one and you can find the little chrome cap filters there as well. Discrete oil breathers can be made for about $20