Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Fender options.
Stock Anni. replacement fender
25.71%
Custom wrap fender
34.29%
Full custom with fenders and stretched bags
40.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Smashed fender. Go stock replacement or custom?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:17 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Smashed fender. Go stock replacement or custom?

Yes, I lowered my bike and smashed my fender. So I need a replacement. Now, before anyone feels the need to reprimand me for lowering my front end, it was just a 1 1/4 drop to level the bike after my 21 install. AND, the bone stock Road King behind me hit the exact same pot hole and did FAR more damage to his fender (and cowbells) than mine. So this is a no regret repair.

That being said how many of you guys would simply replace the fender, and how many would use this chance to add a custom fender? For me, its a tough call because an Anniversary replacement fender is pretty darn expensive, but it is an Anniversary bike. On the other hand, I can buy and paint an ebay wrap-around fender for well under half the price of the Anni. fender. And frankly, for the price of a ready to bolt on Anni. fender, I could buy a complete front and rear aftermarket stretched set of fenders AND stretched saddlebags.

So, what would you guys do with a smashed up fender? Replace it, go custom, or full on Fat Bagger??? And just to add this, I am a Wyo Tech Paint and Body grad. I can do all the paint work myself. I just am worried about cutting up an Anniversary bike that's less than a freakin' year old!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I could do the paint work I would go custom, but I would also want a CVO type rear too.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:58 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

For you and your bike, CUSTOM all the way.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Full custom with fenders and stretched bags.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:51 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

You have a great looking bike, go with OEM & keep it clean looking.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:52 PM
scuba1960
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Custom is my vote and put in the Progressive Monotubes in for better front suspension. While it is an anniversary edition, it doesn't mean that you can't change it back. Setting your ride apart from a stock bike add personality.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:15 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Great responses. Thanks. That's why I did the poll, only it looks like so far we are in a dead heat............ Damn!

Old 06-01-2014, 02:56 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Yes, I lowered my bike and smashed my fender. So I need a replacement. Now, before anyone feels the need to reprimand me for lowering my front end, it was just a 1 1/4 drop to level the bike after my 21 install. AND, the bone stock Road King behind me hit the exact same pot hole and did FAR more damage to his fender (and cowbells) than mine. So this is a no regret repair.

That being said how many of you guys would simply replace the fender, and how many would use this chance to add a custom fender? For me, its a tough call because an Anniversary replacement fender is pretty darn expensive, but it is an Anniversary bike. On the other hand, I can buy and paint an ebay wrap-around fender for well under half the price of the Anni. fender. And frankly, for the price of a ready to bolt on Anni. fender, I could buy a complete front and rear aftermarket stretched set of fenders AND stretched saddlebags.

So, what would you guys do with a smashed up fender? Replace it, go custom, or full on Fat Bagger??? And just to add this, I am a Wyo Tech Paint and Body grad. I can do all the paint work myself. I just am worried about cutting up an Anniversary bike that's less than a freakin' year old!
12CVO bent front fender. Replacement 1200 full custom 900 with paint that match my CVO paint. Went custom

Old 06-01-2014, 03:14 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

You've already altered it.....so, keep the busted up stock fender to give to the next owner when you sell it. Make the bike the way you want to. (There will be another anniv bike coming along...anytime now).

Chuck

Old 06-01-2014, 05:11 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 604 Likes on 439 Posts

There I broke the tie for you now go do it. Custom bags and fenders. :-)

Quick Reply: Smashed fender. Go stock replacement or custom?