Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone change their own tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:51 AM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default anyone change their own tires

Using tire spoons? Was watching a video on youtube yesterday. I change my own dirt bike tires w/o an issue. Just wondering if there would be that much more difficult...rim protectors would be essential.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:56 AM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it all the time. I don't use rim protectors. Don't know what they are actually.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:20 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 477 Posts

Don't know about dirt bikes. The cast Harley wheels have a shouldered bead area making the bead pretty tough to break without a proper bead breaker. To remove and replace the tire you might need 3 or 4 spoons and an extra set of hands but it is doable. I use the Harbor freight tire machine with the motorcycle wheel attachment and lots of patience. Do you already have a wheel balancer of some type? If you find out you are in over your head, you can take your new tires and wheels (already off the bike) to a shop and have them finish the job ( a blow to one's pride). You probably already know how easy it is to bend a brake disk.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:25 AM
dochawken
Road Master

Originally Posted by btsom
Don't know about dirt bikes. The cast Harley wheels have a shouldered bead area making the bead pretty tough to break without a proper bead breaker. To remove and replace the tire you might need 3 or 4 spoons and an extra set of hands but it is doable. I use the Harbor freight tire machine with the motorcycle wheel attachment and lots of patience. Do you already have a wheel balancer of some type? If you find out you are in over your head, you can take your new tires and wheels (already off the bike) to a shop and have them finish the job ( a blow to one's pride). You probably already know how easy it is to bend a brake disk.
never have damaged a brake rotor...two spoons should easily break the bead on a mc tire...I use ride gel to balance them...

Old 06-01-2014, 09:39 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Two spoons. No rim protectors. Cheapo bead breaker from J&P (or improvise with a large C-clamp and a couple pieces of wood). I have been changing tires on bikes since I was 16, and have NEVER balanced one and have never had a problem. (I did damage a rotor one time. Dropped a heavy object on it while the wheel was laying on the garage floor.)

Old 06-01-2014, 09:46 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Tires

I bought an extra set of rims so I can change the tires at my leisure. Use a 2X4 and hinge mounted to a wall to break the bead.

I did have to take the last one in to get the tire changed. Runflat is a whole different animal

Old 06-01-2014, 09:54 AM
dochawken
Road Master

I have a pit boss stand that I use for my dirt bike, I think it would work fine..

Old 06-01-2014, 10:00 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I use a set of large wood clamps to break the beads. A set of spoons and 14 rim turned upside down.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:17 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 387 Likes on 223 Posts

I built this box out of 2x4's to set the wheel on. The rim sits on the wood and the brake rotor is inside the box. Then I use the scissor jack between the tire and the receiver hitch of our truck to brake the bead. Works like a charm. I then use the box to support the wheel on the floor as I use 3 spoons to get the tire off and on the wheel.

Attached Thumbnails anyone change their own tires-image-864286893.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 12:30 PM
dochawken
Road Master

Originally Posted by skydude426
I built this box out of 2x4's to set the wheel on. The rim sits on the wood and the brake rotor is inside the box. Then I use the scissor jack between the tire and the receiver hitch of our truck to brake the bead. Works like a charm. I then use the box to support the wheel on the floor as I use 3 spoons to get the tire off and on the wheel.
Really like the scissor jack idea....smart!

Quick Reply: anyone change their own tires