Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone change their own tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Can you cut through the tire with handsaw? I imagine it have steel wire in the bead

Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 06-02-2014, 06:58 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not no 'mo. I'll pay the 25 bucks for a shop to do it. Depending on how long the tire's been on a cast rim, breaking the bead is NOT as easy as people make it seem if you don't have a bead breaker. Edit: cutting through a tire is a PITA stinking (literally) mess.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:56 AM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
Not no 'mo. I'll pay the 25 bucks for a shop to do it. Depending on how long the tire's been on a cast rim, breaking the bead is NOT as easy as people make it seem if you don't have a bead breaker. Edit: cutting through a tire is a PITA stinking (literally) mess.
I wish I could find a shop to do it for 25$...all my quotes have been 55-65$ per tire.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 AM
CipoWins42
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a cheapo bead breaker from who knows where and a friend who is a tool and die maker built a truing/balancing stand for me, way back when I raced. Two tire irons is enough. Having the right equipment makes a difference. I like doing my own work. Then I know it's right.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:09 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Just did my Avon on the back with spoons and elbow grease. First tire I changed by hand in many years. I use Dyna beads so balancing was piece of cake. I have done with two jack stands and an axle to balance with weights. Worked fine too. Tire changes were only thing I take anything to the dealer for and I am doing that myself too. Then at least I have control over what is and isn't getting done. Used my hydraulic press with a block of wood across tire to break bead. Worked perfect. Worst was re-seating the bead after. Used a tie down strap around circumference and cranked it down , forces tire to swell out and seal to rim so bead can pop. Worked fine.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:41 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Do mine with modified Harbor Freight tire changer, mojolever, no mar yellow thing. I use Ride On and they are smooth. Breaking the bead is easy with the right tool, getting wide rear ties off is a bitch unless you can clamp it down good. Front tires are easy. With the time and modification I have in the HF setup, I'd buy the cheapest No Mar next time. I don't mind paying someone, but I hate waiting during the day when I could be riding. I do mine at night and am ready for the next day.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I cut it with a metal blade, guess a hack saw would work also. I cut across the tread, not around the whole tire. I get it to with in 1/4 inch of the rim than use side cutter's to get the bead cut. Easy as pie.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

I have done it, and it is a bear without all the proper tools. I have a set of big tire spoons, and getting the old off always seems easier the putting the new one on. and don't even get get me started about pinching a hole in the tube in the process.

I now just pull my wheels and pay a indy shop to change and balance them.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Mikula
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

look at it this way.. even if the people who are saying "it's a pain in the butt" (which it isn't) are right, and you have a hard time getting the tire on or off, you're saving yourself 60% of the labor cost at the dealer, so if you happen to run into trouble (which i dont' think you will) just take it to your local shop (preferably independent shop) and let them finish the job for $20

Old 06-04-2014, 12:56 AM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Buddy and I went halves on a tire changer from Harbor Freight. Whole thing shipped was $85 with a 2 ft tire iron.

Part Number: 60810

Part Number: 69686

Works great. Has a built in bead breaker. I just laid a 2x4 block on floor to protect rotor when breaking the bead.

Quick Reply: anyone change their own tires