Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone change their own tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:39 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Back in the day.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:28 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by skydude426
I built this box out of 2x4's to set the wheel on. The rim sits on the wood and the brake rotor is inside the box. Then I use the scissor jack between the tire and the receiver hitch of our truck to brake the bead. Works like a charm. I then use the box to support the wheel on the floor as I use 3 spoons to get the tire off and on the wheel.
Nice!

Old 06-01-2014, 03:10 PM
jbkrab
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm ashamed to admit I cheat. I have a No-Mar tire changer. Please forgive me.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:22 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I change my own, not a problem with two spoons and rim protectors. I cut up a old hi-lift jack and a axle from a crashed bike to make a tire stand, and a big vise for a bead breaker. Then balance with the beads.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Sc0-
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

No Mar "Jr Pro" model. Changed my tires once, had great difficulty. So 8k miles later I tried to change the tires again and couldn't mount the new tires and broke all 4 of the pads off my spoons, so paid someone else to do it. Checked No-Mar's website and seen that they sell a new wheel clamp accessory to make it easier, we shall see how it works in another 6k miles...

Old 06-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Rolling your own

Yes,

I've been changing my own MC tires (and dozens of other people's) since 2004 with a homemade changing stand, irons, and a compact bead-breaker from Aerostich. I have about $200.00 total invested.

For balancing, I use two jack stands, and one of these: http://www.aerostich.com/compact-wheel-balancer.html

When you decide to do your own tires, a lot can be learned by watching a tire guy at a race track, particularly about how to preform a quick and accurate static balance.

This online resource has been extremely informative, and serves as the resource basis for my setup at home: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html

Differences between spoked rims, cast rims, touring tires, tubeless with spokes, offset valve stems, difficult sealing, low-drop centers, TPMS, rubber and metal valve stems, single-sided swingarms, and many other nuances are part of the learning as well. Once you think you've seen them all, another one makes you think again.

All the best,

Shane

Old 06-01-2014, 04:24 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Do it all the time, not with spoons though. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-finally.html

Old 06-01-2014, 04:55 PM
jbkrab
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0-
No Mar "Jr Pro" model. Changed my tires once, had great difficulty. So 8k miles later I tried to change the tires again and couldn't mount the new tires and broke all 4 of the pads off my spoons, so paid someone else to do it. Checked No-Mar's website and seen that they sell a new wheel clamp accessory to make it easier, we shall see how it works in another 6k miles...
I am very surprised. I've been very successful using my Classic Model. Had a few issues with some of the stiff short walled new tires going on some friends rims but was always able to make it work. Now if you are talking about the posi clamps then yes, those are all I use on mine. Just use the standard clamps for bead breaking to lay the rim onto. I've yet to use the standard clamps to hold a rim. Good luck to you.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:34 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Yeah do my own now, built a beak breaker that bolts to the wall, bought the static wheel balancer on special, get 4 big tire spoons,

As Jonesee does i tape rim with gaffa tape after breaking bead, just have a bit of difficulty with starting second bead of new tire, gonna try some zip ties to hold in place

Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 06-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Mikula
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just did both of mine after the dealer telling me $150 for 2 tires mount and balance.. it was WAYY easier than i anticipated. used a c-clamp to break the bead, dyna beads to balance, a piece of hose cut in half as a rim protector. 2 spoons was enough to do the job, no need for 3 of them. only thing i had to buy was the belt tensioner gauge for the rear) $9 on amazon. quite easy to do, i'd absolutely recommend doing it yourself.

Quick Reply: anyone change their own tires