Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21 or 23 front wheel?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014 | 03:01 PM
Rlnires
|
Tourer
Default 21 or 23 front wheel?????

Im looking at getting a new front wheel and I have heard a 21 inch wheel doesnt ride very well and a 23 I would have to rake my bike but ride just as good as stock. But the Harley shop is telling me not to rake my bike. Some help here would be nice. I dont dont want know bullshitters I need some really good advice. thanks

Old 05-30-2014 | 03:06 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Riders Club Member

21" will ride fine. Slight difference at low speeds that won't make much of a difference for you after a few rides.

23" will probably require a rake kit. Some have managed without it but I'd say for the bike to ride properly you'll need the rake kit. There are several on the market that should meet your needs. Why are they saying not to rake the bike?

Did the shop mention a lowering kit would be needed with either set up?

I'm debating the same thing as well.

Last edited by sanman4ever; 05-30-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2014 | 03:14 PM
Rlnires
|
Tourer

Its a Harley shop so they are saying dont let anyone cut the frame. But I have heard that HHI rake kit is a really good one I have heard that it rides just as good as stock if not better with a 23. I wouldnt do a 23 without a rake.

Old 05-30-2014 | 03:15 PM
Rlnires
|
Tourer

MGS customs would be doing my rake if I go that way with an HHI kit. Nothing abouta lowering kit.

Old 05-30-2014 | 03:42 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

A 21" rides fine. Don't let the internet haters tell you different. Stock height with a 21" on my glide rides like a dream. With a 23" it is recommended to use a bolt on triple tree (no cutting) with the wheel. You will also need a different front fender. A properly set up 23" will ride as good if not better than stock.

Lots of information out there and everyone's opinion is different meaning what one guy likes another may not. Give us a call and we can help you sort through truth and fiction.

Old 05-30-2014 | 04:57 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

I've done 21ers, 23ers and 26ers. Most of the bs posted on the forums is from guys that haven't ridden the bikes they're putting down.

Old school way was to add a little rake, (frame rake, not raked trees) for the 21 inch wheels. That's probably a bit of a holdover from chopper days, although a FL with four or five degrees of frame rake, stock trees and a 21 inch wheel rides like a Cadillac. I think a great way to run a 21 is to use the so called "no wobble" trees that are marketed for the bolt-on 23 builds. You're only adding two degrees of rake, via the trees, but you're also gainining the benefit of much better, billet aluminum trees.

The absolute best way to rake a bike for a 23 is to add some rake to the frame, and a little more via the trees. However, most guys are just looking for a quick and dirty bolt-on solution Moco trike trees will work fine, 6 or 7 degree billet trees from the aftermarket will work even better. In either event you'll probably need to limit your suspension travel, or your bike will be pointing upwards.

Old 05-30-2014 | 05:26 PM
Rlnires
|
Tourer

I was thinking the HHi frame rake kit. I really like the look of that.

Old 05-30-2014 | 05:50 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Harley dealers generally don't get into that kinda custom work. So if they aren't gonna make any money on it they'll advise against it. Plus as a dealer they are afraid of things that a custom shop isn't. Lastly, if you do have a rake done the chances that the dealer will loose you to that shop for other work is probably pretty high. The dealer doesn't even want you to know the other shops exist.

Last edited by Dew Me; 05-30-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2014 | 06:37 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Mike
6 or 7 degree billet trees from the aftermarket will work even better.
Mike....what's the degree of difficultly with installing these aftermarket kits? I was looking at the Pickard set up. The HHI kit mentions they only work with their weld in neck piece?

Old 05-30-2014 | 07:00 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sanman4ever
Mike....what's the degree of difficultly with installing these aftermarket kits? I was looking at the Pickard set up. The HHI kit mentions they only work with their weld in neck piece?
It's pretty basic stuff. Look through your service manual, you'll get a pretty good idea of what' entailed. You don't have to disassemble the fork legs, just drop them out of the trees. The HHI trees do require that you swap the stock fork leg cap for theirs, (and then screw the fork leg into the top tree). You will need to compress the spring back into the leg, but you don't have to do any other work to the fork legs. Of course, with the legs out of the bike, it's a good time to change fork oil, but it's not necessary to do the job. If you plan ahead, you might change to chrome lowers and cowbells (or blackout) at the same time you swap trees.

Stock FL trees have 4* of rake. HHI will advise you to use their 7* trees with their weld-on neck, which adds another 7* of rake. Your bike will ride better with a little frame rake, but it's not necessary to be safe. Raking the frame adds trail, and gives the bike a custom look that the bolt on builds rarely achieve.

Pickard sells 6* and 7* FL trees. They market the 6* trees as a bolt-on solution for 23" front wheels. Theoretically, there's a half-inch difference in trail between the 6* and the 7* trees, all else being equal on a 23" install, so slight that any variances in installation will have more of an impact on final trail numbers than the difference between the two trees

Quick Reply: 21 or 23 front wheel?????