Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter Issues Again….

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:38 PM
scot210
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default starter Issues Again….

I have a 2000 Road Glide with a 107" in the bike. Seems like the last few years I have difficulty with the starter. It hasn't been an issue before even with the 107, I have compression releases in the heads and I do use them. On to the issue. Bike was starting funny again over the last few days, I start the bike by quickly hitting the starter button quickly and engaging the starter and quickly release it as well, then hit the button again and it usually starts. A few years back I had issues had a shop in Phoenix look at it while we were on holidays there. They replaced the jackshaft pinion gear to a 10 tooth and also the clutch shell and sprocket to an 84 tooth. I was told this was a better combo. A few days ago the starter was acting up again, and when the starter button was hit the second time for starting the bike would just whirr away. So today I pulled the primary off and sure enough the teeth on both pinion gear and clutch shell are chewed up.Some of the teeth on the clutch shell are only broke off about half of the thickness of the tooth. Makes me wonder if the pinion gear wasn't fully engaging the clutch shell. So now I am going to have to replace both of these parts again. Any advice on brand of parts or different types of set up that I should consider? Is All ***** or some of these aftermarket companies worth buying from? Thanks for any help.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

First thing that comes to my mind is quit hitting the starter and then hitting it again. Talk about putting strain on the gears and shaft!!! I can't think of a method that would abuse the starter and gears more. That is evident by half of the teeth being missing. By hitting the starter the drive clutch gets pushed into the ring gear while the starter is just starting to spin. Then you back it off then hit it again. That poor starter gear never has a chance to fully engage the ring gear.