Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014 | 02:19 PM
glider1993
|
Tourer
Default muffler question

I have a 2013 street glide with a stage 1 already done. Even with the dresser duals the monster rounds sound almost like stock and the Jake brake sound on let off is annoying.

So my question,
I was looking to going with either 4in Rinehart's with hi flow baffles or thunderheader slip-ons. Anyone have either of these and would like to put a sound clip going down the road if possible. If you don't have dual head pipe don't post clip. Thanks

Old 05-28-2014 | 02:46 PM
Mike_M
Road Master

You looking for a sound clip from the rider's seat, or from someone following behind?

Rinehart 4" are noticeably louder than stock, and louder than the CVO pipes I used to have on the bike. However, when just cruising they are very very mellow. Can get you a clip on my way home tonight if you really want to hear them--sound might be pretty crappy since all I have to record with is an iPhone.

Setup is full stage 1, SE A/C, V&H Dresser Duals, 4" Rineharts.

Cheers

Old 05-28-2014 | 03:55 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by glider1993
I have a 2013 street glide with a stage 1 already done. Even with the dresser duals the monster rounds sound almost like stock and the Jake brake sound on let off is annoying.

So my question,
I was looking to going with either 4in Rinehart's with hi flow baffles or thunderheader slip-ons. Anyone have either of these and would like to put a sound clip going down the road if possible. If you don't have dual head pipe don't post clip. Thanks
You didn't say if you had a tuner or not. The sound you describe is decel pop. Really going to need tuner to get the pop out. The Monster rounds I have heard are a little quite. You may could change baffles to larger and help.

Old 05-28-2014 | 04:01 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

So my question,
No one can diagnose what the sound you're hearing is over the internet without hearing it. Some mufflers get really throaty (like a jake brake) during decel, or it could be decal popping (though that doesn't sound like a jake brake).

Your state of tune will have quite a bit to do with how the bike sounds. By altering the fuel and spark tables, I can make my bike very loud or rather quiet without touching the mufflers.

If you only have the Stage 1 flash from your dealer, your bike isn't running right. With a flash tuner like a Power Vision, you can get your tune optimized to the components you have.

I'd suggest you get that squared away before you start spending a fortune on new pipes and mufflers.

Old 05-28-2014 | 05:01 PM
glider1993
|
Tourer

I have power commander v. Tuned by fuel Moto. It's not a pop. It just sounds like a big truck slowing down, jake brake. It's a good tune.

I'm wanting something louder than the monster rounds. They are not much louder than stock.

I found a lot of clips just idling. They all sound good in a garage with the echo. I would like to hear something from the seat going down the road at about 55mph. Either the rineharts or thunder headers slipons

Old 05-28-2014 | 06:38 PM
Mike_M
Road Master

well, I tried with the iPhone--too much wind/engine noise to really hear the pipes since the phone is mounted on the left handlebar.

Hopefully someone else can get ya a clip of what you're looking for.

Old 05-28-2014 | 06:58 PM
glider1993
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mike_M
well, I tried with the iPhone--too much wind/engine noise to really hear the pipes since the phone is mounted on the left handlebar.

Hopefully someone else can get ya a clip of what you're looking for.
Thanks for trying anyway.

Old 05-28-2014 | 07:54 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

I have power commander v. Tuned by fuel Moto. It's not a pop. It just sounds like a big truck slowing down, jake brake. It's a good tune.
Good deal.

Have you considered the 4" Jackpots?

Old 05-28-2014 | 08:05 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member

If your tune is spot on, maybe just pull the baffles on the rounds? I had monster rounds and pulled the baffles for more rumble.

Old 05-28-2014 | 08:11 PM
stan60
Tourer

I really like my 4" Rineharts. Like someone else said, pretty mellow at cruise but will definitely bark at you when you get on it.

Quick Reply: muffler question