Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension sounds like a pogo stick

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014 | 08:29 PM
wheelgunner8
|
Stage III
Default Front suspension sounds like a pogo stick

I have a 2011 Ultra Limited that I had the Progressive Mono Tubes installed in last summer. I rolled the bike in the shop this weekend and as I hit the front brake to stop, you could here the springs working in the front end. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like an old pogo stick. Anyone else ever experience this? I talked to Progressive, and the tech there said he had never heard of it. The checklist he gave me turned up nothing.

I have not experienced any difference in ride quality, just wondering what could have changed to make them start making noise.

Old 05-27-2014 | 09:39 PM
Groucho1
Tourer
Default Yup

I wouldn't ride it...I had the same with mine and the installer had not tightened one of the bolts inside. Have it checked...it won't get better and will get worse

Old 05-27-2016 | 12:05 PM
Grappa
Cruiser
Default Spring Noise

I know this is an old thread, but just came across it and I am having the same problem. I have a 2013 CVO that I have always felt had something old feeling about the front end. a year ago I had the dealer install the HD duel cartridge premium front end kit, thinking maybe that would help. After it was installed it made the same POGO stick noise. Went back and they said the springs were installed upside down AYKM (are you kidding me) and they flip them around. Well it still had the same noise after the fix and the dealer was saying, "well, I guess it's normal everything looks good, your good to go".. So off we go on our 5k trip, stopped at many dealers around the country and asked "does this sound normal", not one said yes. Bike always felt a bit bouncy in the front end, anyway, get back and take her in to the shop and tell them "I really don't think this is normal, nobody else does either" so they take a look and decide that it's just low on fluid, added some and POGO sound was pretty much gone..NOW, 2-3K later it's back with a vengeance, sounds just like a POGO stick and the front end really feels bouncy over rough sections of road.
So I'm curious, anybody else have any similar stories?, Solutions? Thoughts..

Old 05-27-2016 | 12:54 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by wheelgunner8
I have a 2011 Ultra Limited that I had the Progressive Mono Tubes installed in last summer. I rolled the bike in the shop this weekend and as I hit the front brake to stop, you could here the springs working in the front end. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like an old pogo stick. Anyone else ever experience this? I talked to Progressive, and the tech there said he had never heard of it. The checklist he gave me turned up nothing.

I have not experienced any difference in ride quality, just wondering what could have changed to make them start making noise.
Are you sure it wasn't brake caliper grab, mines been doing it since new and it's pretty common.

Old 05-27-2016 | 02:57 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
From: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians

Originally Posted by wheelgunner8

A few years ago, I had Monotubes put in, at my local dealer, and they were great..........................for about 5 months.

Then they started making the same noise you are describing. And like you I called Progressive, and got the same "never heard of it" reply. Pulled them out, and one of the tubes had a split. Called Progressive again and told them about it, and they more or less told me they would sell me another pair. Nice, huh?

Last edited by shooter5074; 05-27-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2020 | 11:39 PM
cobaltt
Road Captain

anyone with this problem ever figure out what the fix is?
My 2015 Flhxs is making this sound after the fluid change. Now I know why harley put a radio on this bike.
sound like a broken mattress spring in a cat house.