Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you know it's just too much

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Default When do you know it's just too much

I've been back on the bike for about a week, since my accident. My knee was screwed up, even though I've been cleared for normal activities from my doctor, I still am having a hard time. I love my bike, and it's the best bike I've ever had, but the weight of it and of course riding 2 up makes me uneasy. Without the full strength it's really hard to maneuver this beast, and hold us up too.

I've had a couple bike accidents many years ago (none were my fault), but for some reason this one is just sticking in my mind. I guess it might have to do with the use of cellphones, and knowing that it isn't going to get any better, just more and more distracted driving these days. Another reason is every time I walk or use my leg at all I'm reminded instantly of being basically ran over.

I'm not looking for any pity, just kind of venting what's going on with me. I still love riding, probably more now than ever. I don't know if it will take some time to get back, maybe a lighter bike, (dealer did give me a trike for a couple days) and surprisingly I felt very secure on it, or I'm just coming to the realization that I'm actually worried about another accident every time I jump on the bike.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think as we get older we lose our feelings of being invincible. I am making the move to a trike within a year, at the tender age of 60. Go for whatever makes you the most comfortable

Old 05-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

There is an old biker saying; With age comes cage. A lot of motocross and supercross riders get off road racing trucks, buggies or other off road vehicles with 4 wheels.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:00 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhand
I think as we get older we lose our feelings of being invincible.
My feelings too. I remember riding in my high-school days, no helmet, feeling invincible. Now days, with all the poor driving, distracted driving and I-don't-give-a-crap attitude towards drivers and riders, sometimes I look down at that painted center-line and the oncoming traffic and think major injury or death is just a few inches away.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:02 PM
bubdifab
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya. I hit the brake when I was doing 55 mph when I went down (lowside) , and I was ejected from the bike and slid down the street head first. Ended up totaling the bike and tearing my MCL but did not require surgery. I only had a little bit of road rash on my other knee. Aside from that no other injuries. I always rode cautiously, but now when I get on I feel even more cautious. Sometimes when I head out and I'm on the road, I really think that the car on the side street is going to pull out in front of me. The more I ride the better I feel. If you're just getting back on, give it some time and take rides in more secluded areas at times of the day where traffic is lighter (as long as that's possible). It sounds like you've been through this before. The most frustrating part for me was that I did everything right and there was nothing I could do to prevent it. That part scares the hell out of me sometimes.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:07 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

as you heal over time you will be more comfortable and hopefully ride without fear. I would ride one up for a while though.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:14 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Rob, I've never been in your situation. I would surely think, it was normal. This distracted driving $hit is very scary. I'm 66 yo & have 2 really bad knees & think about going to a Dyna someday. You've rode the Trike & at least you know how you feel. I hope you figure it out, good luck.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:20 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

go take a re-fresher course or some sort of advanced riding class...it should make you more confident in your riding skills.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:43 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

bummer about the accident....i'm beginning to think about a trike at 62 cause these things are so freaking heavy....but the trikes are so stinking expensive. its sometimes a struggle to manuever the bike around the parking lot or in the drive. i agree that a couple of courses might help gain back some of that confidence. hope you get out of the funk.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:48 PM
hotline1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 6 weeks out surgery on my knee for acl replace and
Im using An athletic brace and been riding for 3 weeks and having no problem

Quick Reply: When do you know it's just too much