Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you know it's just too much

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:51 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Ya, I went down on a sandy turn and twisted my ankle pretty bad. No damage to the bike, but it took me a lot of riding to get back to the fun part. I need the bike to just get away from the stress sometimes. BUT, I don't ride to work anymore, the traffic is nuts and it's not fun.

However, my Goldwing riding buddy and I got in an accident in his car six months ago. We are ok, but the accident has shaken him up enough that he is seriously thinking of selling the Goldwing. That is a surprise because he puts 20,000 miles a year on that bike. He was the one who got me back into riding 10 years ago. But we almost rode our bikes the day of the accident and he knows we would have been killed had we been on the bikes. I'm not telling him anything, I will support what ever decision he makes.

Beary

Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For me I'd definitly be stepping back onto a lighter machine. My Fatbob is actually more stable plus it stops and handles better than then SG. Even it is heavy but if set on a HD .... As for the Trikes, God I hope it doesn't ever come to that for me, I'd probably just hang it up at that point.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,081 Likes on 22,573 Posts

Take a break for a while from riding.
Pay a trainer or PT to help get you back to the level of strength you were at before the accident.
After you start to get your strength back and feel better, start taking rides by yourself for a bit.
When you feel more confident take your wife.
Then contemplate your choices.
Make your decision as to what you want to do then.
Don't rush into any thing!

Last edited by lionsm13; 05-21-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Roomer
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default same here

Brother, I feel you. I am currently recovering from my crash. Low speed dump of bike. Wound up with a tibial plateau fracture. That's the lower part of the knee joint. Surgical repair with plate and screws 1week ago. Minor bike damage, being repaired now. I'm not sure when I'll be cleared to ride, at least another month before I'll be allowed to bear weight on my leg. I too am concerned about how I'll feel getting back on the bike. Hopefully I'll work through the fear. Not planning on rushing things, just easy riding well below limits until/if I am comfortable again. Luckily I only ride solo so maybe I won't have to go lighter, really like my glide.