Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you know it's just too much

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 AM
iron butterfly
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident/ dilemma. I was an avid sportsbike junky until I was sidelined with heart surgery and a pulmonary embolism. About a year after I recovered I took a MSR intermediate class and I recommend it for two reasons. One it will help blow the rust off in a safer environment than traffic and will help you decide if riding is for you still. Best of luck to you

Old 05-21-2014, 12:27 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Hope you feel better.

Curious, what track let you on the track with that helmet?!?

Old 05-21-2014, 04:28 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

The first thing you need to do is ignore everyone's advice and do only what you're comfortable doing.

With that said, what I did after my wreck was this....As soon as I could stand on my own and make a fist strong enough to hold the clutch in, I was back on the bike. The longer you wait to ride, the harder it'll be mentally. I beat the hell out of myself getting back in shape so that I was physically ready to ride (I was in bed or on the sofa for nearly 2 months).

Don't rush it, but don't put it off either.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:06 AM
smokingpig
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what your going thru... i had an accident in February, lost traction in sand/gravel on road ( they had been sanding due to snow/ice this winter ) I'm agatt, so only minor concussion, twisted my knee & ankle.. they are still sore but getting better... took a couple weeks off riding while waiting for parts for bike, and even though i ride year around for last 15 years, i was really nervous that first ride back... for a few weeks was overly cautious, especially in corners, and was wondering if i would ever enjoy riding again and be able to relax... its been 3 months now, still a little sore, but i ended up trading my FXDF for a new Limited in the process and love it...
Talk to your Dr. about some physical therapy, it will get better, and stronger... don't make any rash decisions that you will regret later... even though i gave my wife a scare, a call from the police to her that i was on way to local trauma center will do that, she has been very supportive of my return to riding after accident, even when all her friends told her she should make me quit...
You will heal and enjoy riding again, it will just take a little time...

Old 05-21-2014, 07:36 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

I know what you're feeling. My situation was a bit different.

I was in bed for 4 months after getting run over. Ran through the whole gamut of emotions and not being sure what to do....two wheels or a Trike...never really entered my mind not to ride.

5 months after being run over I used my walker to get to my Sporty, and took my first ride....just around the block a few times. It was great.

A few weeks later, while still using a cane I took my first real ride...60 miles or so...including on the interstate. I was a bit apprehensive for the first 10 minutes, then it was back to old times (although a bit more wary of cagers).

For me it just took some time.

For multi-day two-up trips we did get a Tri-Glide. My right foot and leg will not hold up a bagger anymore. But I still have the Sporty and Softail for my 2 wheel addiction.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 05-21-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:42 AM
Kicks
Tourer

Convertible Corvette C7.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:44 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,804 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Gotta go someday. What would your life be like if you didn't ride?

Old 05-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Wheeliwonka
1st Gear

Did a forum search and found this thread to see other peoples experience;

I was taken out a month and a half ago on the interstate, fortunately avoiding any serious injuries, just hit my head hard.
Rode my bike for the second time yesterday and the first time down the interstate since.
It was a rather unsettling experience. I find myself triple checking every lane change, and very tense through intersections.
I'm on the same "to ride or not to ride" boat, I'm glad to see some positive experiences of people bouncing back. I loved to ride before the incident, but I've got to shake the nervousness to be able to enjoy it again. I'll just keep at it.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:04 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

There are plenty of styles of these bolt on trike kits for $3000-$4000, might be something to shop for until your healed enough to unbolt it? And you get to keep your bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bolt-On-Trig...e639d7&vxp=mtr

Old 05-21-2014, 08:18 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, Cowboy Rob, I'm not sure how old you are, but I completely understand your thought process.

With age comes wisdom (hopefully). Things we did with reckless abandon so many years ago, we now approach more cautiously. We also tend to have more responsibility now; folks who depend upon us.

There's one thing that separates man from all other living creatures: a conscience. My advice to you is this: Listen to your "inner promptings".

Quick Reply: When do you know it's just too much