Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do you know it's just too much

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:06 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Its a natural feeling you are having after your accident, I agree with the poster that said maybe do some solo riding for a little bit even if its just tooling around town during low traffic hours, and re -build that confidence that you know you have. Is there anything you can do off the bike to strengthen your legs? Its unfortunate that we live in a world of cagers that don't pay attention for ever reason. I am sure what ever your decision is, trike, smaller bike, or keep what you have. you will get that enjoyment of riding with comfort ----- ( not to be confused with letting your guard down ) again. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Seems like you have 2 issues, holding up the bike and riding it.
Perhaps get used to riding it alone for a while, get those muscles used to backing it up, turning it around, stops and starts. Take the bike out on quiet Sunday mornings and do some parking lot practice and side streets to get into it again. Don't take the wife on the back for a few weeks till you are confident that your muscles and knees can manage the weight.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:18 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest you take your time in making a decision. I'm 66 and went from a Road King to a Deluxe last year. I enjoy riding the lower, lighter Softail but I do miss my bagger.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Raddazzz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have to say if your feeling uneasy about the riding it might be time to call it quits. At least for awhile, checkout some other hobbies and see how you feel down the road....

Old 05-20-2014, 08:35 PM
billbuzz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I felt the same way after my accident. I said I was going to sell the bike and was done riding after 35 years of riding. After the bike was fixed and I healed up I went for my first ride and was very uncomfortable and nervous. Was not enjoying the ride at all. Told myself again I was selling the bike. Thank God that stupid idea faded with time and I traded the bike for a 2013 street glide and I love the feeling of being in the wind more then ever. Time heals all wounds. Good luck bro!!!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Not sure which options you are exploring for adventure, but my lady and I get the 'wind in our face' adventurous feeling more so on our 25' boat than we do the Harley, and there are days when we practically have the lake to ourselves. Sure the cost of ownership is higher, but the benefits are worth it. Truth is that anybody with 2 decent legs and arms can launch and retrieve a 20' runabout.

If you have to move on from biking then at least you can say you did it with no regrets outside of the unfortunate accidents.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:50 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Focus on your physical therapy.
Become all that you can be physically.
Then you decide.
Your best level of recovery will take lots of work - GO FOR IT!
Give yourself a chance.
Only you will know when and what to do.
Good luck, Bro.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:53 PM
roadglider1
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Rob,
Sorry to read about you accident. I have a very good friend who was rear ended by a semi truck-no kidding man. He walked away with a few aches and bruises and a totaled
electra glide std. He's an atgatt guy fortunately. It was a year of I think I may stop riding talk, which I understood and everyone certainly has to make their own decision.
Today, he has three bikes, rides them all and enjoys riding as much as ever and the crash is in the rear view mirror. Take your time, don't force it and it will come.
Glad your OK!

Old 05-20-2014, 11:07 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Bummer man! Takes longer to heal the older ya get. I have never had the "fear" thing after a crash and I've had a few (very lucky to still be around??). I did Quit dirt bikes almost ten years ago (hurts to hit the ground and somehow harder/heavier to pick up) and sold the ninja about 5 years ago (wrist cashing checks my brain/body couldn't cover). I catch myself having "trouble" handling the bagger more and more these days?? Don't know how much longer I can feel "comfortable" riding but I really hope I figure it out before I go down bad enough to make the call for me. Very hard to give up the love of over 50 years...
good luck!!!

Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

My fear is getting away from home and twisting my back and being unable to function, it happens easy. We're reluctantly thinking about a trike but not ready for the loss, maybe that one in a hundred thousand will want my bike as is.

Quick Reply: When do you know it's just too much