Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I dropped it…

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014 | 07:20 AM
CaptainKirk
|
Road Master
Default Well, I dropped it…

Going down a short hill, stop sign at the bottom. Just before the sign I stopped and realized the road fell off to the right a LOT more than I realized. Put my foot down and realized that the bike was already leaning too far to the right….. So for an eternity of 10 or 15 seconds, I held it and held it as it tilted further and further to the right. And then it went over. If the road had been level side-to-side, it would have just touched down on the saddlebag guards and the front engine guards. Sadly, it fell all the way over on it’s right side. So the whole side of the saddlebag GUARD is scratched (bag is still pristine). Engine guard is scratched but I think the highway peg bracket I still have to install will cover it.

As it went over though, the very outer edge of the batwing and top of the mirror scraped the pavement and so did the underside of the fairing lower. It’s just the edge of the batwing and it’s only a small scuff on the very outer edge and the top of the mirror is chewed up a bit….. So I’m REALLY thankful that an 800+ lb. motorcycle can fall all the way over on it’s side and not get a LOT more damage but still…… IT SUCKS! I am glum.

Old 05-20-2014 | 07:24 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk
Going down a short hill, stop sign at the bottom. Just before the sign I stopped and realized the road fell off to the right a LOT more than I realized. Put my foot down and realized that the bike was already leaning too far to the right….. So for an eternity of 10 or 15 seconds, I held it and held it as it tilted further and further to the right. And then it went over. If the road had been level side-to-side, it would have just touched down on the saddlebag guards and the front engine guards. Sadly, it fell all the way over on it’s right side. So the whole side of the saddlebag GUARD is scratched (bag is still pristine). Engine guard is scratched but I think the highway peg bracket I still have to install will cover it.

As it went over though, the very outer edge of the batwing and top of the mirror scraped the pavement and so did the underside of the fairing lower. It’s just the edge of the batwing and it’s only a small scuff on the very outer edge and the top of the mirror is chewed up a bit….. So I’m REALLY thankful that an 800+ lb. motorcycle can fall all the way over on it’s side and not get a LOT more damage but still…… IT SUCKS! I am glum.
Sorry to hear that. It's way too new to have battle scars already. Get that chit fixed!!

Old 05-20-2014 | 07:31 AM
Beav
Road Warrior

Sorry to hear, but it happens.

Wasn't there a thread last week about how "goofy" those guards looked on a bike?

Old 05-20-2014 | 07:32 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

Good call having saddlebag guards.

Old 05-20-2014 | 07:34 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

Well, now your bike has personality marks...probably no other bike like yours has those exact scratches...you'll get over it, just ride that suckah! Lemme tellya, we've all done what you did!

Old 05-20-2014 | 07:37 AM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by acchd
Good call having saddlebag guards.
X 2 - Many guys pull these off for looks

Old 05-20-2014 | 07:39 AM
Pix
Road Master

Now just tip it over on the other side and call it custom…Glad your ok.

Old 05-20-2014 | 07:44 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior

join the club. Definitely will make you more careful in the future, I did me. Part of the harley experience ( the not so great part!)

Old 05-20-2014 | 07:45 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't think I can hold her up any more - eh captain?

Old 05-20-2014 | 07:45 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior

I will never take my guards off, and welcome to the club, it will happen to most of us at some point. Dont feel bad, I let mine down gently after realizing my kick stand was not down, when it gets to a point there is no return, its going down.

Quick Reply: Well, I dropped it…