Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I dropped it…

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014 | 04:44 PM
J_ULTRA
Tourer

Originally Posted by cass
as others have said, welcome to the club. i dropped mine at a gas station maybe a week after i got it and couldn't pick it up by myself after trying to hold it. luckily another biker was in his truck and saw me drop it and came over to help get it back up. at 62, these damn things are heavy. glad you're ok and only a little "personality" was added to the bike. the bars really do work to save the bags....i'll never be without them.

I remember dropping my old shovelhead Electra Glide at a gas station when the front tire slid on some spilled gas as I pulled up to the pump. Back then I could still lift it up. However at 67 it might be a bit tougher. I've been asking my son to come over and we would tip the bike over on some rubber flooring tiles I have and see if I can get it back up. I was checking out some youTube videos and might be able to get it back up, if not he'll be there to help me.

Old 05-20-2014 | 04:44 PM
Shep68
Road Master

Have never posted in one of these threads because until last night I haven't had too. Gotta come clean though. Tipped over in the garage last night. Standing still. With the kickstand deployed. Go figure huh. Straddled the bike to check some work I had done and leaned it too far over to the right. Once that bitch starts to go there's no stopping. Near as I can tell not even a ding. Except to my ego. And my legs trying to lift it.

Old 05-20-2014 | 05:28 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk
Going down a short hill, stop sign at the bottom. Just before the sign I stopped and realized the road fell off to the right a LOT more than I realized. Put my foot down and realized that the bike was already leaning too far to the right….. So for an eternity of 10 or 15 seconds, I held it and held it as it tilted further and further to the right. And then it went over.
Similar situation for me last year, although I (with my wife onboard) was coming UP a short hill to a stop sign at the top, and hoping to make a rolling right turn. When I got to the intersection, I started to steer right, but had to stop for traffic. The combination of the hill, braking and turning, leaned the bike beyond the point of balance and we started to go over. By the grace of God, I was able to maintain the bike above the ground, and with a concerted grunt, and all the strength I could muster, I managed to pull the bike back to its fully upright position! I still don't know how I did it, but I do know WHO did it - Thank you, Jesus!

Last edited by FenderGuy53; 05-20-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2014 | 05:41 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Yeah, I've spooked my self a couple of times pulling up to a stop light and being too much in the center of a well-worn lane. Due to heavy truck traffic, it was a little further down for my right foot (or left foot) to actually touch the asphalt and thought for a split second 'here I goooooo!' Since I'm short, I try to look ahead when slowing down and shift over to the left in the lane so my right foot will be on higher ground.

Old 05-20-2014 | 06:35 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

When my 07 SG fell onto it's right side it didn't fair so well. My right saddlebag got scraped (07 didn't have a guard), the right side tank got a little scrape, the right upper edge of the fairing got chewed as well as a small part of the front fender, engine guard got gurred up and even the exhaust tip got scratched. All totalled, one half of my bike needed body work and repaint so I went ahead and bit it and repainted the entire bike.

Old 05-20-2014 | 07:00 PM
CaptainKirk
|
Road Master

Well thanks for all the moral support..... I wish NONE of us had to go through it but it's great to know I'm not alone.... The saddlebag guard got the worst of it.... I 'might' replace it eventually. Just glad I had them. Ride safe everyone!

Old 05-20-2014 | 07:39 PM
Colorido
Road Master

We've all done it...or will at some point. I've dropped two bikes. My own bike, I dropped when I pulled into a gravel parking area off of a mountain road. The gravel appeared to be only an inch or so deep but ended up being a good 6 inches deep. I had her turned when we hit the deep stuff and over she went. I tried to right her by myself using the proper technique but I just couldn't get any footing in the gravel so my friend had to help.

The other bike was a HD rental. Had my mom on back and it weighted down with all our gear for a 4 day trip...I'm not used to riding with a passenger. We were leaving a parking lot that was a good 4-5 feet below road...I stayed low, watching the traffic and when I had the all clear, I revved it up and started to turn out...and then a car on the other side of the parking lot immediately pulled out and was headed straight for us. I pulled in the clutch, we started to roll back, I gently applied brake and put foot down but the camber was too much and I couldn't keep the bike from going over. Guards did their job, I got the bike back up easily, and away we went.

Hopefully none of us ever drop em again!

Old 05-20-2014 | 10:21 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Beav
Sorry to hear, but it happens.

Wasn't there a thread last week about how "goofy" those guards looked on a bike?
There sure as hell was, wonder if that OP has seen this thread

Old 05-20-2014 | 10:26 PM
Pappy1
Road Captain

Sorry To Hear...........

Old 05-21-2014 | 06:07 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Default Yep

My First and Last dump of my Harley Road King was last summer....won't happen to me again.
Ride on
Hap

Quick Reply: Well, I dropped it…