Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Touring Link Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:45 PM
jcrawford14
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 1 Post
Default Progressive Touring Link Review

I have two touring model Harley’s a 2000 Road King and a 2007 Ultra. I have never experienced the Bagger Wobble on the Road King in the 36K miles I have put on it. The Ultra on the other hand has the wobble when you push it a little hard in turns. Even just sitting on the bike non running if you shake the handle bars back and forth the entire rear of the bike would wobble freely. Tires are new and air pressure correct. I decided to try one of the aftermarket stabilizers. I found the progressive Touring Link on line for $136 .48 with free shipping.

http://cycleplicity.com/search.aspx?...s=touring+link

I received and installed it Friday night. It took only 30 minutes to install. After the installation while sitting still and shaking the handle bars the rear end no longer wobbled. I have since put 150 miles on the bike and I must admit the bike handles much better than before. I rode harder than normal as it felt so much tighter in the turns. I would recommend this device to any one whose bike has the loose wobble feeling. As for increased vibration I would have to say the increase if any was minimal.

Last edited by jcrawford14; 05-19-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 PM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Does it do anything to the comfort of the ride (bumps, etc.)?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:38 PM
jcrawford14
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 1 Post

Ride quality as far as bumps there was no change. In other words it did not ride any harsher or softer.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 780 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by sel53
Does it do anything to the comfort of the ride (bumps, etc.)?
No. It is purely an extra link to prevent sideways movement of the engine/swing arm assembly while permitting unrestricted vertical movement of the swing arm. Ride comfort (highly subjective for each individual) is a blend of suspension/tire/seat/handlebars with almost infinite combinations. State your actual point of dissatisfaction and someone will have addressed it one way, another will have tackled it in a different way. Evaluate each in relation to your bank account and mechanical ability.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:28 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The tour link is just a band aid,if it wobbles that bad without it,I would be checking the swing arm bushings.Knew bushing plus the link is better.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

I agree with Bundy43, however, I do believe that the Tour Link has value even if everything is tight...I have note noticed the 'bagger wobble' on my 2006 Glide, but I still intend to install the Tour Link at some point.

American Iron Baggers Magazine had an article on installing a Tour Link in a 2013 bagger, I believe, in this month's issue. It indicated that it will not go on that particular year if it has a stock exhaust...hadn't heard that before about mine, it's a different part number, hopefully won't be an issue when the time comes.

Good review, thank you!

Old 05-20-2014, 01:14 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Wink

For those of you who would like to learn more about 'bagger wobble' and it's origins read my thread here.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Elqueso2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
I agree with Bundy43, however, I do believe that the Tour Link has value even if everything is tight...I have note noticed the 'bagger wobble' on my 2006 Glide, but I still intend to install the Tour Link at some point.

American Iron Baggers Magazine had an article on installing a Tour Link in a 2013 bagger, I believe, in this month's issue. It indicated that it will not go on that particular year if it has a stock exhaust...hadn't heard that before about mine, it's a different part number, hopefully won't be an issue when the time comes.

Good review, thank you!
Please don't get me wrong and I'm trying not to be an idiot about this, but unfortunately your incorrect in the fact that the frame doesn't need one. I could take you on 3 roads here in So Cal where you can experience a high speed wobble consistently at 75+ MPH every time. Granted speed, Tire Pressure and Road Dynamics/Harmonics can all play a part in it, but I found that there are times its just the frame and nothing else. Harley touted that this frame is better and it really is leaps and bounds better than my 2002 Roadking frame; but it still has it's compliance issues. I found that in my style of riding I really need one and it really does help A LOT in twisty canyon turns. I love craving canyons and that where this brace really shines. With that said; do most riders really need it, probably not..... Again, it all depends on your style of riding. Also it doesn't make it rigid, the whole assembly (link) pivots along (seamlessly) with the swing-arm and everyone I know (at least 10 bikes) all report back that it made a big difference and no vibration what so ever. We also noticed that the bike tracks better down the highway and just feel more stable. Again, I have friends that rode my bike and immediately went out and got the Tourlink right after. I does really make a difference. Bought mine on Amazon Now I haven't tried a 2014 yet, so we'll see......

Old 05-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Elqueso2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
For those of you who would like to learn more about 'bagger wobble' and it's origins read my thread here.
That is an excellent post and thank you for re-posting it!

Old 05-20-2014, 09:30 PM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, you guys are killing me. I have this "must upgrade" obsession going ... New rear shocks, so gotta do the fronts now; gosh, couldn't the handlebars be a bit better; oh, the seat is getting compressed a bit, need a new RDL; the tires are getting a little thin now, so I had better take care of that; what about my annual chrome treat??; of course the dang thing would run a ton better if I got a shiny new power vision and a custom dyno map.

And now I find out I need a #%!! TOUR LINK!!!!!!! Is there no rest?

Quick Reply: Progressive Touring Link Review