Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Touring Link Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Harley partially addressed the issue in 2009, by moving the upper stabilizer link forward (which increases the leverage it provides), and by doubling up the forward motor mount.

On the 08-older bikes, it's easier to add the touring link (bagger brace, etc) than it is to fab a downtube boss and mill your head to accept the forward stabilizer. Changing your forward motor mount to a stiffer, urethane version also adds chassis stability, in a similar fashion as the doubled-up mount used on the newer bikes. These upgrades will help control the side-to-side movement of the swingarm.

I've also changed to better tires (including a wider rear tire), and billet trees. All of these things incrementally address handling, and the cumulative effects are very noticeable.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:44 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Mike
Harley partially addressed the issue in 2009, by moving the upper stabilizer link forward (which increases the leverage it provides), and by doubling up the forward motor mount.
Harley moved the top stabilizer to the front head to make room for the bigger 6 gallon tank, nothing to do with the rubber mount system. They did the same with the '08 bikes, which used the old frame.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,041 Likes on 4,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike
Not sure it is stronger or how much space was recovered for gas but it sure changed the way the tail wags the dog.. With the top mount over the front mount, the chassis setup helps to keep the plane of the rear wheel verticale in line wit the steering neck.. The old way the rear wheel hung like an old gate and would swing out of vertical as the rear moved side to side in the chassis.

On the 08-older bikes, it's easier to add the touring link (bagger brace, etc) than it is to fab a downtube boss and mill your head to accept the forward stabilizer. Changing your forward motor mount to a stiffer, urethane version also adds chassis stability, in a similar fashion as the doubled-up mount used on the newer bikes. These upgrades will help control the side-to-side movement of the swingarm.
So you think polyurethane is the solution over rubber? The original mounts have three metal ring to limit crush and keep tension.. The polyurethane solution is to increase preload and fill the swingarm bracket with the stuff to keep it from bulging out.. Funny thing is that it don't work that well.. Don't have to believe me.. Put a dial indicator on the pivot shaft and stuff a pry bar between the frame and swing arm.. Get a good feel for the squish then do back to a new set of stock donuts.. See which has more flex..

I've also changed to better tires (including a wider rear tire), and billet trees. All of these things incrementally address handling, and the cumulative effects are very noticeable.
Tire profile make a real big difference..One of the main improvements to the 09 bikes. My FXDX had a real bad wobbles under power until I went to a 180/55x18 rear tire.. The DX as some of the best suspension and it had all the other gadgets.. Sputhe stabilizer, fork brace, steering damper, etc.

Its funny but HD screwed up the 09 frame IMO.. They stamped out the rear section so that it is only a half tube not a full round.. Some think the rear don't flex on the later bikes?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:03 PM
BulldogBiker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Bwoltz and the route he is looking at to address the problem. The whole suspension system has to be addressed to keep these beasts in check. Grbrown has done a lot of research and work on his bike. I'm lookin forward to his report on the CCE triple tree upgrade. I have upgraded my swingarm to the latest version for pre 09 baggers and added Bitchin Bagger's solution for the missing link and so far this seems to work for me. If the bike isn't setup properly sitting still, you can't depend on it behaving at speed. One of the worst bikes I've had that wobbled was a mid 80's metric that didn't have a solution to resolve the problem. Looked great standing still but no fun to ride.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Pommerntat
Novice

Originally Posted by grbrown
I can't comment on your experience with the Yam, but I did put a lot more than two pence of effort into my thread linked in at post #7. Do read it, to better understand what your Harley gets up to!
Thanks, GRBrown! Great article! er, post, whatever. Great to read something from someone who obviously knows what he's talking about..

Next question: Why does Progressive sell links that don't fit stock bikes? I have a friend who bought one over a month ago and can't use it because [Progressive rant goes here]

Old 07-10-2014, 03:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pommerntat
Thanks, GRBrown! Great article! er, post, whatever. Great to read something from someone who obviously knows what he's talking about..

Next question: Why does Progressive sell links that don't fit stock bikes? I have a friend who bought one over a month ago and can't use it because [Progressive rant goes here]
Thanks, and its my pleasure! As for the defective link, I can't help there, except to suggest contacting Progressive.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:39 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Pommerntat
Give them a call they will send out the proper bracket to your friend free, I did feel the same way when I received the Link, but they will send you the bracket quickly at least that was my experience.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Pommerntat
Novice

Originally Posted by EricD10563
Give them a call they will send out the proper bracket to your friend free, I did feel the same way when I received the Link, but they will send you the bracket quickly at least that was my experience.
He's been on the phone with them several times. They told him they were on backorder. It's been several weeks now. Maybe I'll offer to buy it from him. I don't have stock pipes.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by BulldogBiker
Grbrown has done a lot of research and work on his bike. I'm lookin forward to his report on the CCE triple tree upgrade.
That's been held up while I resolve problems with my front brakes, but I now have a way ahead. More details on my thread here, when progress resumes!

Old 07-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Ordered it...got it...installed it...not a half hour installation as advertised...took an extra hour plus to loosen the exhaust enough to get the swing arm cap off & the new one on. Otherwise easy peasy.

Took an extended ride on twisty canyon roads. Cannot describe the difference as 'night and day' but the difference was noticeable. It was well worth the money and time spent!

Quick Reply: Progressive Touring Link Review