Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Touring Link Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 03:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by sel53
.......Is there no rest?
Nope! It's an incurable condition that has to be fed regularly. The only consolation is that you're in the right place while in here.......

The following users liked this post:
rsking45 (02-05-2021)
Old 05-21-2014, 04:10 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't NEED anything but the regular maintenance items...
WANT is a different story..
Put whatever you want on your bike as long as it doesn't cut into your Riding Money!

Old 07-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Pommerntat
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to put in my .02 regarding wobble. I ride a '13 Ultra Limited. 255 cams, V&H X-pipe, Screamin' Eagle A/C, and CFR pipes. That setup actually has nothing to do with wobble, really, other than the bike gets up to speed in a hurry, and pushes through the twisties with extra torque.

I experienced wobble on my last bike, a Yamaha RoyalStar Tour Deluxe. Long, sweeping turns at 70mph+ sent the thing into a near-panic. On the Ultra, I experience the exact same thing, just at a much more subtle level. It's just the way steel frames flex. I've seen and heard a lot of great things about the Touring Link. The physics make sense to me. Two parts of the bike are responding to road conditions in their own way. Linking the engine to the frame allows the two parts to react in a more uniform fashion, thus reducing the frame flex.

I don't think H-D incorporates it into their design because it's not worth the extra expense to accommodate folks who like to push their bikes. I like to push my bike. It's part of the reason I own one, and for the most part, the Ultra does great. Since you have to pull the pipes to install, I'm waiting until the off-season to dig into that. I'm definitely going there, though.

Again, just my .02, since I haven't yet experienced it firsthand.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:29 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Pommerntat
Going to put in my .02 regarding wobble. I ride a '13 Ultra Limited. 255 cams, V&H X-pipe, Screamin' Eagle A/C, and CFR pipes. That setup actually has nothing to do with wobble, really, other than the bike gets up to speed in a hurry, and pushes through the twisties with extra torque.

I experienced wobble on my last bike, a Yamaha RoyalStar Tour Deluxe. Long, sweeping turns at 70mph+ sent the thing into a near-panic. On the Ultra, I experience the exact same thing, just at a much more subtle level. It's just the way steel frames flex. I've seen and heard a lot of great things about the Touring Link. The physics make sense to me. Two parts of the bike are responding to road conditions in their own way. Linking the engine to the frame allows the two parts to react in a more uniform fashion, thus reducing the frame flex.

I don't think H-D incorporates it into their design because it's not worth the extra expense to accommodate folks who like to push their bikes. I like to push my bike. It's part of the reason I own one, and for the most part, the Ultra does great. Since you have to pull the pipes to install, I'm waiting until the off-season to dig into that. I'm definitely going there, though.

Again, just my .02, since I haven't yet experienced it firsthand.
I can't comment on your experience with the Yam, but I did put a lot more than two pence of effort into my thread linked in at post #7. Do read it, to better understand what your Harley gets up to!

The following users liked this post:
JTM65 (05-28-2022)
Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,041 Likes on 4,075 Posts

IMO there are issues with the touring link.. I've tried a copy of the Progressive link and it didn't help on my 07 egc.. It's my belief the frame is actually flexing where the 2 rubber mounts are compressed.. A touring link only attaches to 1 side of the frame allowing the other side to flex.. True tracks at least fasten then rear part of the drive trave train to a stiffer part of the frame..

Picture of a touring link style. (single sided)

Picture of True-Track.. Note picture closer to bagger-brace

Last edited by Max Headflow; 07-06-2014 at 05:54 PM. Reason: make image bigger
Old 07-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Floppy Junk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've hit both angles...

Bagger Brace and pro glide mounts. My bike (2000 FLHRI with 120R) is as solid as can be. I came from rice rockets before this bike and probably push it closer to the limits than I should but after those two upgrades, the bike is on rails. Whomever was talking about frame flex doesn't understand "bagger wobble". Following the alignment procedures that you can see on YouTube while installing the pro glide mounts probably made the largest difference. That guy knows what he is talking about!! The RK has never tracked so straight.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:57 PM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
American Iron Baggers Magazine had an article on installing a Tour Link in a 2013 bagger, I believe, in this month's issue. It indicated that it will not go on that particular year if it has a stock exhaust...hadn't heard that before about mine, it's a different part number, hopefully won't be an issue when the time comes.
Good review, thank you!
I read that same article. Thought about it but like you said, I'd need a different exhaust and that isn't going to happen.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:55 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,041 Likes on 4,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Floppy Junk
Bagger Brace and pro glide mounts. My bike (2000 FLHRI with 120R) is as solid as can be. I came from rice rockets before this bike and probably push it closer to the limits than I should but after those two upgrades, the bike is on rails. Whomever was talking about frame flex doesn't understand "bagger wobble". Following the alignment procedures that you can see on YouTube while installing the pro glide mounts probably made the largest difference. That guy knows what he is talking about!! The RK has never tracked so straight.
So you like Jake's stuff eh? His whole reason for stressing alignment is that it reduces issues with the drive train flex that exists.. I've tried his stuff.. Not much better than stock with a couple shims stuffed under the current bushings.. You might want to spend some time looking at things like tire contour and chassis forces.. The whole thing about alignment is keeping the plane of the rear tire pointed at the steering neck..

Old 07-07-2014, 05:39 AM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I installed the Progressive Touring Link I guess 2 years ago on my 08 FLHR. Prior to this I had experienced the "wobble" once. I liked the PTL since it didn't interfere with my frame while using my J&S Jack when servicing my bike. Plus the cost was right for my budget. My bike now feels much tighter and tracks straighter. No noticeable extra vibrations since installing. I've been pleased with this modification.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Elqueso2
Please don't get me wrong and I'm trying not to be an idiot about this, but unfortunately your incorrect in the fact that the frame doesn't need one. I could take you on 3 roads here in So Cal where you can experience a high speed wobble consistently at 75+ MPH every time. Granted speed, Tire Pressure and Road Dynamics/Harmonics can all play a part in it, but I found that there are times its just the frame and nothing else.
Read this quite some time after you posted this...I agree with you. I didn't say the frame didn't need one...I'm convinced that it does, hence, the reason that I will eventually get one. I said that I've never noticed the phenomenon! Maybe I'm just accustomed to it, and compensate in my riding style. I do not know. I'm certain that I'm familiar with those three roads, one of which I'm certain is the Maricopa Highway, noted deathplace of many a rider...

UPDATE: I just ordered one, Elqueso, all is well in the world! We'll see if I notice a difference!

Last edited by Veekness; 07-08-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Progressive Touring Link Review