Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014 | 04:06 PM
ptl203
|
Road Warrior
Default Idle issues

Ok, just had my 10K done at the dealer a few weeks ago. Last weekend I was out with the wife for a ride when I noticed while stopped at traffic lights, the idle was "off". By off I mean it wasn't a smooth idle, seemed like it was overheated as if I was stuck in traffic for a long period of time in high heat. Temps were around 75 degrees. It also had that hot smell, if you know what I mean. When taking off from a stop, it lagged, again as if it was running extremely hot. Bike is a 2012 RGU. Anyone have any ideas? Bike is at the shop now because I've got the ol engine light and battery light on with several codes for charging issues.

Old 05-19-2014 | 04:47 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ptl203
Ok, just had my 10K done at the dealer a few weeks ago. Last weekend I was out with the wife for a ride when I noticed while stopped at traffic lights, the idle was "off". By off I mean it wasn't a smooth idle, seemed like it was overheated as if I was stuck in traffic for a long period of time in high heat. Temps were around 75 degrees. It also had that hot smell, if you know what I mean. When taking off from a stop, it lagged, again as if it was running extremely hot. Bike is a 2012 RGU. Anyone have any ideas? Bike is at the shop now because I've got the ol engine light and battery light on with several codes for charging issues.
Mine did it a few times this weekend in Myrtle Beach in 75 degree weather. It was shutting the rear cylinder off to cool the engine. You'll get that smell when that happens. I'll always blip the throttle before letting off the clutch or it will stumble.

Old 05-19-2014 | 04:59 PM
ptl203
|
Road Warrior

Yup that's it... Why is it doing it when it shouldn't be? It's not like it's 100 degrees out yet stuck in traffic. I was cruising along and not stopped for more that a few minutes at most. Did it several times

Old 05-19-2014 | 07:41 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior

Yup that's it... Why is it doing it when it shouldn't be? It's not like it's 100 degrees out yet stuck in traffic. I was cruising along and not stopped for more that a few minutes at most. Did it several times
I was doing a lot of stop & go and sitting in traffic. It sure was feeling hotter than 75 degrees if I wasn't cruising.

Old 05-19-2014 | 08:03 PM
ptl203
|
Road Warrior

Unfortunately with mine, there wasn't much stop and go, so I'm not sure what was causing it

Old 05-19-2014 | 10:44 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member

Just because it isn't really hot outside doesn't men your engine does't get hot. Check out your owners manual & turn it off if you don't like it.

Old 05-20-2014 | 12:32 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
Just because it isn't really hot outside doesn't men your engine does't get hot. Check out your owners manual & turn it off if you don't like it.
exactly, an engine will heat up faster when not moving and will take longer to cool down. It does not matter what the air temperature is.

Old 05-20-2014 | 12:41 AM
From_Behind
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Unfortunately with mine, there wasn't much stop and go, so I'm not sure what was causing it
Put your hand down there on the engine and see if it's 75 degrees there. LOL

Old 05-20-2014 | 07:30 PM
ptl203
|
Road Warrior

My point is this... I was pretty much constantly moving and this hasn't happened before. If I was in stop and go traffic I would expect this. Riding for a few miles then being stopped for a minute or two at a light has never caused this before.

Old 05-20-2014 | 09:25 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

If it's the EITMS cutting off the rear cylinder that's causing this, you can install Jason Ward's FCS cooling fans and not worry about it anymore. Mine hasn't kicked in for a year and a half. It used to kick in all the time.

Quick Reply: Idle issues