Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bell Pit Boss owners question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 05:26 PM
nervous
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
I had issues with the flip down rubbing my nose, 5 minutes with a sanding wheel and a torch and all is good.
Got mine today and the sun shaded is pretty close to my nose. Not sure if it's an issue yet and time will tell. But, you have me curious. I am on board with the grinding, easy stuff. But please elaborate on the 'torching'? I assume that is to quickly melt the ground edges into a smooth surface again? What torch and what's the technique?

Old 05-24-2014, 05:54 PM
nervous
Tourer

And, one more please. For those that have changed out their sun shield how is that done, or what is the procedure? Thanks.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:15 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I used the small sanding wheel on my drill to sand the opening larger.

To smooth the edges I used a propane torch very carefully moving the edges of the freshly ground plastic toward the heat of the flame just until it gets shiny and smooth.

Be careful.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:16 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by nervous
And, one more please. For those that have changed out their sun shield how is that done, or what is the procedure? Thanks.
Changing it out is kinda a PITA. There is a small nub on the housing that needs to be pushed down to release the shield. I use a small eyeglasses flat heat screwdriver to push it down. It takes some doing, and usually take me 5-10 min to change it out. It's more of a pain then it's worth, so I have been leaving the clear shield on.

There is a YouTube video out there that shows how to do it, I couldn't figure it out until I found the video, LOL

Old 05-24-2014, 09:29 PM
nervous
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigheadted
I used the small sanding wheel on my drill to sand the opening larger. To smooth the edges I used a propane torch very carefully moving the edges of the freshly ground plastic toward the heat of the flame just until it gets shiny and smooth. Be careful.
Thank you. Not much margin of error there eh?

Old 05-24-2014, 09:31 PM
nervous
Tourer

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
Changing it out is kinda a PITA. There is a small nub on the housing that needs to be pushed down to release the shield. I use a small eyeglasses flat heat screwdriver to push it down. It takes some doing, and usually take me 5-10 min to change it out. It's more of a pain then it's worth, so I have been leaving the clear shield on. There is a YouTube video out there that shows how to do it, I couldn't figure it out until I found the video, LOL
I'll look that video up. The helmet comes with no instructions whatsoever about that it the adjustment of the micro lock up and down, etc. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:56 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Can't use the visor. My head is apparently misshaped a little. When I pull it down, the nose slot is way off to one side and hits my nose.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:09 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

The drop down is easy as heck to change out !! Just grab it and pull it off. It simply clicks back in. It is so easy even a bratwurst fingered barbarian can do it.

If your nose slot is off make it fit by sanding it to shape with a 1.29 drill bit sanding wheel.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:07 AM
Rdgray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I thought my head was lop sided, but apparently this sheild hitting the nose is a problem with the helmet. It's still the best helmet I have and I want be using the sheild that much (rain). When I got the helmet I just pulled the tinted sheild off, but the clear one doesn't seem to come off that easy.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:47 AM
nervous
Tourer

Not sure yanking them off is the best option overall as it appears there is a catch in there that you would not want to either break or round over

This video, around 2:45, shows one method:

Quick Reply: Bell Pit Boss owners question