Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C&C seat comfort (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 01:32 PM
ThrasherDoo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C&C seat comfort (long post)

Recently got my custom c&c seat and I am extremely unsatisfied with the comfort. I had a Danny grey speed cradle before and had to swap it out because of an upper back pain and reach problems. I live close to c&c so I set up an appointment and tried out the solo due to the fact that they didn't have the dual available. It sat me back further than my Danny grey so I had them bring it forward 1" from the stock FL seat. Even though c&c had a remarkably extensive fabric selection I couldn't find the perfect match that I wanted. I brought them in a gold sparkle marine grade vinyl I purchased and they got it all done up. I had them add a backrest as well. Never had one but I heard that the backrest is the cats meow. C&c staff was patient, friendly, and prompt in all processes. The seat itself is amazing to look at. The craftsmanship is second to none and visually orgasmic. For me it is the seat that you see on someone's ride and envy. However, I rode about a total of 300 miles on and off the moment I picked it up on a Friday and at the days end my mid back and sides were destroyed. So bad that come Monday I considered calling in sick to work. The pain lasted all week. This past Friday I decided that I would give it another chance and sure enough I had the same pain in the same spots. I don't wanna ditch the seat because I love the way it looks and I can't find anyone else who says their c&c seat is uncomfortable. I know it's not my shocks (JRI... Amazing btw) and it's not my bars ( 12" apes ... Fixed upper back pain). I'm 5'7" 30" inseam on a 2006 flht. Any advice, solutions, or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Last edited by ThrasherDoo; 05-18-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:57 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you search hard enough, there are people that don't get the comfort they paid for from c&c. It's a small percentage, but they exist. I suggest that the people that are unhappy are those that have very real discomfort and pain. Not the average "I want a more comfortable seat" kinda people. I am one that has serious discomfort from most seats, and I believe that spending $$$ on a custom seat build would probably improve my comfort only by thinning my wallet by several bills. Russell day long is probably the only one I would consider. They offer a money back guarantee. They build the seat exactly for you. It's not cheap, but you can't lose.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:06 PM
DLSSOJC
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C&C makes beautiful seats, but I have found Ultimate and Mustang seats more comfortable overall. I have heard good things about Russell Day Long seats but have never owned one.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:37 PM
ThrasherDoo
Novice

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
If you search hard enough, there are people that don't get the comfort they paid for from c&c. It's a small percentage, but they exist. I suggest that the people that are unhappy are those that have very real discomfort and pain. Not the average "I want a more comfortable seat" kinda people. I am one that has serious discomfort from most seats, and I believe that spending $$$ on a custom seat build would probably improve my comfort only by thinning my wallet by several bills. Russell day long is probably the only one I would consider. They offer a money back guarantee. They build the seat exactly for you. It's not cheap, but you can't lose.
I was gonna go with the russell originally based on the amazing reviews regarding distance riding but the seat height deterred me. I'm a shorter guy so I needed something lower than stock.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:40 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

sorry the seat isn't working out. I purchased a day long for my 2013 FLHTK after buying an ultimate and a mustang seats for my other rides. at the end of the day, they let me down and I still had tailbone issues. I've had the day long for almost two years and about 15000 miles. its been great. I wont trade the bike because I don't think it will fit the new style bikes. anyway, I can really ride all day and at least through a tank of gas. the furthest I've gone in a day is 450 pain free miles and back on it the next day on the way home. I cant support day long enough. i got leather and heat options and got my backrest and tour pac back all done at the same time......great seat. kind of fugly, but I can live with that.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

You said you live close and that they were very nice. Why not go back and explain your discomfort? Seems like they should be able to make adjustments to fix the discomfort.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:45 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dew Me
You said you live close and that they were very nice. Why not go back and explain your discomfort? Seems like they should be able to make adjustments to fix the discomfort.
forgot you said you lived close. i'd certainly try that if you haven't already.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:52 PM
ThrasherDoo
Novice

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Definitely gonna swing by and discuss my issue. Due to being a forward seat I am worried the cover will not be able to be reused if modifications need to done. I would need to go buy more fabric and most likely pay for the labor of redoing the seat. Already I'm in it for $900+ so I'm pretty uneasy at spending anymore.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:39 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 541 Posts

Sorry to hear about the back pains.

Did they mention to you about a "break in period"? Most after market seats do take some time to break in.

Just something to think about.

C&C, Corbin, etc use a hard memory type foam. HD uses more of a soft foam that after serveral years gets deformed and squals easily and cause your pressure points feel it.

YB

Old 05-18-2014, 08:51 PM
gliderman
Road Captain

I would have to agree. Back in 2005 or so I got a C&C seat for my SG. I think they were just starting out back then. I live in the general region of their shop so I was able to go there and deal with them directly. I found everything about their seat was first rate except the comfort. Good CS, good selection of materials, willingness to please the customer, etc. Unfortunately, the comfort just didn't do it for me. I find Corbin seats much more to my liking. I also found C&C to be much more reasonable in price back then than they seem to be nowadays.

Contrary to previous post, Corbin does not use memory foam on their seats. Memory foam will provide better comfort than stock but will still (eventually) allow the rider to settle into the seat and receive more of the vibrations from the frame of the bike which cause most of the discomfort that you feel. Just my opinion.....

Last edited by gliderman; 05-18-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply: C&C seat comfort (long post)