Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duals without re-map?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007 | 08:49 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Default RE: Duals without re-map?

You're taking a big chance, in my opinion. Any addition that allows the engine to breathe better, be it exhaust or air cleaner, may (and I emphasize MAY) make the bike run lean which can have serious consequences. A dyno run to check the A/F ratio is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Have it done - a change like you mention makes a bike run lean (that's why it's popping on decel) and will produce a lot of heat at a minimum and put a hole in a piston at worst. You might as well change the air cleaner while you're at it and get a couple more horsies out of that 96 cubic inches.

Old 03-30-2007 | 10:52 PM
slojoh
Road Captain

you all know that these dealers DO NOT put your bike on a dyno to tune it. th s/e race tuner is nothing more than a key so they can do a download to you existing ecm!!!!!!! big screw job but wtf you dont have a choice.

Old 03-30-2007 | 10:55 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: slojoh

you all know that these dealers DO NOT put your bike on a dyno to tune it. th s/e race tuner is nothing more than a key so they can do a download to you existing ecm!!!!!!! big screw job but wtf you dont have a choice.
I assume this was supposed to be funny - made me laugh anyway. LOL

Old 03-31-2007 | 02:07 AM
gordo24fan
Tourer

I was told that you might as well get the tuner and air filter set up to install at same time...so I did...I have a totally different bike now. Rinehart True Duals, Arlen Ness Big Sucker and ThunderMax Tuner are incredible. Bottom line is you spent a lot for the bike why take a chance now. I personally would change the tuner.

Old 03-31-2007 | 02:31 AM
RBJones
Tourer

Is all this dyno tuning nonsense really necessary? I mean, dyno tuning used to be used only on serious racing machines. When did it become necessary to dyno tune any vehicle when you change an air cleaner? Is it a status symbol now to say you've had your bike dynotuned? Any decent tuner should be able to use a power commander or similar ( and cheaper )device to get the motor in the ballpark for a simple pipe and air cleaner change. Seems to me a lot of Harley riders are being separated from their money way too easily. It shouldn't cost more than $1,000 to change out an exhaust system and air cleaner. That's what you pay if you go the full dyno tune route when you add up all the parts and tuning.

Old 03-31-2007 | 12:12 PM
Unamed
Road Master

ORIGINAL: RBJones

Is all this dyno tuning nonsense really necessary? I mean, dyno tuning used to be used only on serious racing machines. When did it become necessary to dyno tune any vehicle when you change an air cleaner? Is it a status symbol now to say you've had your bike dynotuned? Any decent tuner should be able to use a power commander or similar ( and cheaper )device to get the motor in the ballpark for a simple pipe and air cleaner change. Seems to me a lot of Harley riders are being separated from their money way too easily. It shouldn't cost more than $1,000 to change out an exhaust system and air cleaner. That's what you pay if you go the full dyno tune route when you add up all the parts and tuning.
I agree with you that it seams kinda rediculous, but....

From what i have gathered the ECM on the bike can only make small adjustments to the air fuel mixture, a remap is needed for the massive change in air flow, then they dyno tune it to make sure they have the correct air fuel mixture dialed in so the computer can still make its small adjustments in either direction. If they get the level wrong then the comp could be to far in one direction and wouldnt be able to adjust properly. For instance your comp would be able to handle a rise in elevation, but wouldnt have enough "slack" to adjust to a lower elevation.

Just what i have gathered talkign to you harley guys...

Old 03-31-2007 | 12:21 PM
ForkedRiverHog
6th Gear

I have a 2006 RKC With V&H true duals SE airfilter, I installed A Power
commander and download Map #180 The bike now runs perfect.

Old 03-31-2007 | 08:04 PM
UltraBagginCharlie
Intermediate

Talked to the dealer today, mainly about warranty concerns, and he said that Fulsac duals with Wild Pigs would be alright on my 07 Ultra. If by chance it ran lean it would need the Stage 1 download. If I added a performance air cleaner then it would need a fuelpak, pcIII, or sert.

Old 04-07-2007 | 12:13 PM
slojoh
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

ORIGINAL: slojoh

I assume this was supposed to be funny - made me laugh anyway. LOL
no it wasnt supposed to be funny. Took the bike in to have the stage one installed , and i asked him about the so called dyno tuning,he said all they really do is use the race tuner to download to your existing ecm and he gave me the race tuner back.My point is that these dealers in arizona area basically quote $800. for a race tuner and dyno tune, but the dyno tune is just a download.

Old 04-07-2007 | 11:24 PM
jbhawley
Road Master

yes...you can run true duals without a re-map. the engine will run a bit lean and may sputter a bit under a heavy load....say around 70mph or up a hill. however, if you change to a high flow air cleaner, you SHOULD re-map as this will make it run even leaner.

Quick Reply: Duals without re-map?