Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Suspension PSI Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 03:01 PM
toothmansteveb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 09 would max out at 50. I think the 08's at 30. With only 8 pounds in there I would think it would hit very hard or bottom out. I would run around 25-30 solo and 50 2 up. With that said I like my new Ohlins much,much better!

Old 05-15-2014, 03:02 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,902 Likes on 4,970 Posts

Originally Posted by STpwmATC
Good Stuff Guys Thanks!! Id replace the shocks now, but I already blew my wad on Bars,Cables,Bags,a Seat and a few smaller things here and there. Shocks Will be first on the list when I build up a new stach of Cash.

The is getting pretty fun making the bike mine! Pretty expensive, but thats ok too
I know a guy that got good money for his wife........just sayin!!

Old 05-15-2014, 04:30 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by STpwmATC
Running Stock suspension in my 08 FLHX. While Pealing off the passenger back rest, my buddy asked what my PSI was at. Thought about it and realized I didnt know!

He said I should be around 8PSI. My wife and I are abou 310lbs combined. Ive been bouncing through the internet, finding a spread of answers.

She complains about her *** and back hurting after about an hour. But she SWEARS its not the seat, (sundowner)

Anyone else of similar size and Bike run another PSI? As easy as it is to change, Im game with testing some out. I just dont want to Blow out a gasket by putting in 60! lol

So I guess its a 2 part question, Whats YOUR PSI, and Whats the highest I can go?
The suggested PSI for the rear shocks in the manual does not seem to have any relationship to reality.

I have found the best way to get the best PSI in the rear shocks is to find a road with a rough section that I can make multiple passes on.

I pick an arbitrary PSI and make a pass over the rough spot. I then change the PSI 2 lbs and make another pass. I keep doing this, making the 2 lbs psi change (BOTH above and below my starting psi) until I find the "sweet spot".

It is helpful to know that, because of the shock valving, it may actually be "softer" at a higher PSI than a lower one...so I just take the time to run the entire possible range in 2 psi increments.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:52 AM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I did some experimenting with mine. I found the owners manual on the high side. Solo, I run around 20. 2 up, I run 35-40. On trips 2 up with luggage is the only time I run 50. My wife and I are only 275 or so. My manual says 50 psi max.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:34 AM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

I seem to be OK with 20 psi solo or 2 up. combined weight is about 350

Old 05-16-2014, 05:50 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
The suggested PSI for the rear shocks in the manual does not seem to have any relationship to reality.

I have found the best way to get the best PSI in the rear shocks is to find a road with a rough section that I can make multiple passes on.

I pick an arbitrary PSI and make a pass over the rough spot. I then change the PSI 2 lbs and make another pass. I keep doing this, making the 2 lbs psi change (BOTH above and below my starting psi) until I find the "sweet spot".

It is helpful to know that, because of the shock valving, it may actually be "softer" at a higher PSI than a lower one...so I just take the time to run the entire possible range in 2 psi increments.
Same here...HD's "recommended" settings are just that (recommendations) and until you road test at different levels, it's hard to judge what's best for comfort in 1-up and 2-up conditions. I did this same process (found spot & tested different levels) and then placed one of those white envelope labels on the inside lid of my saddlebag with my preferred air levels. Now I just refer to my label and all is well. I'm 165lbs and wife's 120lbs so we're @ 22lbs solo and 30lbs w/passenger...cheers!

Old 05-16-2014, 05:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Comfort is a very personal thing, something we each have to adjust to our liking. One comment I will make is that in the zillions of shocks threads on HDF, few members mention a passenger. In my long experience, many shocks, including stock, can be good enough while solo, but the most important passenger in the World gets a very different riding experience back there.

IMHO it is worth spending on top shelf shocks once, rather than messing around spending on several pairs of cheap ones. Mrs B and I have never bottomed out on our custom Ohlins and she can ride much further each day when we are on long tours.

Comfort starts at the road. Use compliant tyres rather than the stock rocks, change shocks as above, then install a decent seat as the cherry on top!