Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Came Out of Caliper During Service. Replace or Repair Caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016 | 09:15 PM
Wraith04
Tourer

Originally Posted by bagman1
Now thats a clean caliper. Those look like the last gen caliper. Would you happen to have a set of brembos taken apart like that?
Those ARE Brembo's

Old 05-17-2016 | 06:08 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wraith04
I think you are sweating this too much, if they aren't leaking now you should be fine. When/if you split them you would have to extra special to screw them up, bottom o-rings in the well are different than the top, tops's are thinner and technically the dust seal.
Thanks for pic.

Probably so, one too many brake panic threads I've read...and many state to replace the seals if this occurs. Test rode again last weekend, seems to be running fine.

/When/if you split them you would have to extra special to screw them up/

could you clarify this statement? not sure I followed...

what kind of torque specs on bolts when you reassemble the halves? loctite?

thx.

Old 05-17-2016 | 08:33 AM
Wraith04
Tourer

Originally Posted by F150HD
Thanks for pic.

Probably so, one too many brake panic threads I've read...and many state to replace the seals if this occurs. Test rode again last weekend, seems to be running fine.

/When/if you split them you would have to extra special to screw them up/

could you clarify this statement? not sure I followed...

what kind of torque specs on bolts when you reassemble the halves? loctite?

thx.
Well, it was a nice way to say you would have to be retarded to screw them up.
They really are easy to assess if you pull them apart. I didn't use loctite, there didn't appear to be any on the threads and I just snugged the bolts by hand after I mounted them back on the fork for leverage.

Old 05-17-2016 | 11:25 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Did the same thing about a week ago. I popped the piston back in and bled brakes. No issues with leaks or ABS. Did not start bike before bleeding. Used Mityvac and it was super easy. You'll know if there is a leak quickly due to the pressure. I have about 2000 miles on it since then.

Old 05-18-2016 | 06:04 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wraith04
Well, it was a nice way to say you would have to be retarded to screw them up.
They really are easy to assess if you pull them apart. I didn't use loctite, there didn't appear to be any on the threads and I just snugged the bolts by hand after I mounted them back on the fork for leverage.
lol, figured as such. Yea, no torque specs anywhere and I've read of folks having leaks after reassembly, so, I try to ask ?'s before I tear something apart to be pro-active. Thanks much.

Old 05-18-2016 | 06:06 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by rg_dave
Did the same thing about a week ago. I popped the piston back in and bled brakes. No issues with leaks or ABS. Did not start bike before bleeding. Used Mityvac and it was super easy. You'll know if there is a leak quickly due to the pressure. I have about 2000 miles on it since then.
Thanks. Thats one thing I wondered- if it was going to leak, is that something one would expect to see immediately (due to the pressure) or would it be a gradual process kinda thing. Yea, runs fine so for now will run it and keep an eye on it.

Thank you.

Old 05-18-2016 | 08:43 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Btw, a slight tangent for those interested...

Good photo...I'm going to borrow

In those threads that the OP states "I put my wheel on (new wheel, original wheel, friend's wheel, etc) and now my Rotor(s) rub my Caliper(s)"...

It's rubbing on Brembo's pad Guides (see below). The previous calipers didn't use guides because they used 2 pins instead on 1

Old 05-18-2016 | 01:05 PM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer

"It's rubbing on Brembo's pad Guides (see below). The previous calipers didn't use guides because they used 2 pins instead on 1"

I was wondering if this is normal?, because my front right is rubbing there as well

Old 05-18-2016 | 01:13 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by IrishHogtrotter
"It's rubbing on Brembo's pad Guides (see below). The previous calipers didn't use guides because they used 2 pins instead on 1"

I was wondering if this is normal?, because my front right is rubbing there as well
No, It's not normal ... from a fellow Irishman . I believe my name had O' in front of it... "back in the day" and in the "Old Country"

EDIT: "front right"...How's your LEFT? and is your Right rubbing Outboard or Inboard?

Last edited by multihdrdr; 05-18-2016 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IrishHogtrotter (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016 | 03:23 PM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer

Left caliper is ok, the front right inboard was rubbing...I took it to be a sticky piston, so cleaned them up and put new pads in both calipers whilst I had them off. Seems to be ok for now, there is an gap (not much!) now between the pad guide and the rotor.

However I noticed that the inboard pistons on both sides were not as far out as the outboard...

If they are meant to be equal I was going to try and shim the caliper to get it running dead centrally.