Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Came Out of Caliper During Service. Replace or Repair Caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016 | 08:04 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Renny
Thanks. Per my question in the post above....wondered if you had any input?

Thank you.
To answer your 2 questions. I have never seen an exploded view of an ABS caliper. If Drag Specialties sells the seals, try contacting them for a diagram, unless someone here has a source.
Dont know where else to find this as I havent worked on ABS calipers so far.
In order to do it right, yes the caliper needs to be removed. Sorry but hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2016 | 08:36 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagman1
To answer your 2 questions. I have never seen an exploded view of an ABS caliper. If Drag Specialties sells the seals, try contacting them for a diagram, unless someone here has a source.
Dont know where else to find this as I havent worked on ABS calipers so far.
In order to do it right, yes the caliper needs to be removed. Sorry but hope this helps.
Thanks.

Yea, I don't have ABS personally. And cannot find any pics of them dissembled online or any torque specs etc? On the CVO forum a thread states there are pics, but nothing appears viewing on my phone or laptop.

Is it just me?

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=51580.0

True, maybe Drag has something....

Old 05-09-2016 | 08:46 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

The ABS system operates through the ABS module. The calipers are no different.

Old 05-09-2016 | 09:20 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Lemme ask you this- I had to push back in 2 of the pistons that came out (1 piston in 2 separate calipers, front and rear). I have test ridden the bike several times (10 miles a pop) and no leaks, brakes normally etc.

What should I expect to happen in your experience? if it were to start leaking, when would that start, now? or down the road? or?

Just asking for an opinion on what signs I should look for, what might occur etc...

Would prefer to 'rebuild' towards summers end if I can....when riding season slows a bit!

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2016 | 10:10 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
The ABS system operates through the ABS module. The calipers are no different.
yep, was aware as my other bike has ABS so learned about that last Fall!

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2016 | 01:52 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Renny
Lemme ask you this- I had to push back in 2 of the pistons that came out (1 piston in 2 separate calipers, front and rear). I have test ridden the bike several times (10 miles a pop) and no leaks, brakes normally etc.

What should I expect to happen in your experience? if it were to start leaking, when would that start, now? or down the road? or?

Just asking for an opinion on what signs I should look for, what might occur etc...

Would prefer to 'rebuild' towards summers end if I can....when riding season slows a bit!

Thanks.
Wow, you've had a couple come out, next time put a piece of thin wood or something to keep the pistons from coming out, and then you can clean the pistons.
As far as what to do if it were to leak, than you'd have to stop at that point and rebuild the calipers. I'd be more concerned of an air pocket you induced behind the piston when installing it. I would definitely bleed the brakes immediately. Overall on the subject of brakes is you don't want to take short cuts, it can have life altering affects. Theres a lot of things anyone can do on a vehicle, but theres 2 rules that should never cut corners on: Steering and brakes. You may get by with one repair or another, but its like have unprotected sex with a group of hookers. Am I going to catch something or am I lucky? OK better odds with one hooker than a group, but I think you get the point.

Old 05-09-2016 | 08:00 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Wow, you've had a couple come out, next time put a piece of thin wood or something to keep the pistons from coming out, and then you can clean the pistons.
As far as what to do if it were to leak, than you'd have to stop at that point and rebuild the calipers....
Thanks. Have re-bled twice...test rode, rides ok. Wood- yes, found out too late! lol

So, when I buy new seal kits, I pull the caliper from the bike to install. Now, do I need to split the caliper to install them? or can it be done w/ a dental pick kinda thing once its off the bike? guessing the caliper doesn't need to be split, but I could be wrong.

Having no exploded view of pics of the Brembo (nothing in HD parts manual) I have no way of knowing what to expect unfortunately else I'd have fewer questions. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2016 | 04:14 PM
Wraith04
Tourer

I think you are sweating this too much, if they aren't leaking now you should be fine. When/if you split them you would have to extra special to screw them up, bottom o-rings in the well are different than the top, tops's are thinner and technically the dust seal.

Old 05-16-2016 | 04:50 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wraith04
I think you are sweating this too much, if they aren't leaking now you should be fine. When/if you split them you would have to extra special to screw them up, bottom o-rings in the well are different than the top, tops's are thinner and technically the dust seal.

Now thats a clean caliper. Those look like the last gen caliper. Would you happen to have a set of brembos taken apart like that?

Old 05-16-2016 | 07:17 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
If it has ABS id let the dealer do it. I dont mess with ABS.
As long as you don't turn the ignition switch on, you can bleed etc just like regular brakes. That's what I did with my FXDC with ABS and it went like clockwork.
When I replaced my pads (RK), one of my calipers came completely apart down the middle completely emptying the fluid. I just put everything back together and bleed the caliper. It's working fine now and I didn't replace any components.

Quick Reply: Piston Came Out of Caliper During Service. Replace or Repair Caliper?