Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Came Out of Caliper During Service. Replace or Repair Caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016 | 10:45 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bait56
You can buy caliper rebuild kits on Amazon for under $40.00 so I am certain after market shops have them.
will look.

Thanks.

Last edited by F150HD; 05-07-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-07-2016 | 10:50 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wraith04
Seal kit from Drag Specialties #1702-0125, just used these to rebuild my calipers and only $13.95 on the Bay if you decide to rebuild. I'd say you are fine, just bleed brakes as the caliper is the last point in the system.

so if the puck reseats ok I should be fine? (no ABS) am new to the brake caliper game. Have done pads, flushes etc, but haven't had to rebuild a caliper before.

Thanks.

Last edited by F150HD; 05-07-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2016 | 05:00 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Opinion deleted!

Last edited by SpiderPig; 05-08-2016 at 02:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
F150HD (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016 | 09:19 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Slide the piston back in and you will be just fine. Make sure to apply some brake fluid to the seal so the piston will slide in. Just be gentle with it and it will re-seat itself. I see no reason why you need to replace the seals,
Thanks you.

IRT replacing seals- have read it can leak otherwise? or am I wrong?

At what point would it be advisable to do a rebuild with new seals etc? (or even new pistons?)

Also,

not sure if you're the one to ask, but, is there a BREMBO caliper cleaning how-to? or dissembly/reassembly how-to on here somewhere?

The calipers on my 12 were really dirty and cleaned all 3 (only 25k miles)....wouldn't mind reading on the best practices of pulling pads, extending the pistons a little for cleaning. relubing them w/ brake fluid? (have read opposing opinions on what to use). Not sure if all pistons need to be removed for cleaning? guessing not, but, mine were pretty dirty.

Thanks.

Old 05-08-2016 | 09:40 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

You are not supposed to use brake fluid to lube the seals, that creates a path for fluid to seep or leak out all the time or compromises the sealing surface. Instead use like a silicon grease or silglide. In your case I would change the seals/rebuild caliper.

Old 05-08-2016 | 12:39 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Deleted due to Bagman's expert advice!!! Would not want to cause anyone issues...Sorry for trying to help you drspencer

Last edited by SpiderPig; 05-08-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2016 | 01:19 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

That video is so wrong, for one thing he didn't even clean the calipers which should be rinsed with denatured alchol only then dried with compressed air. You don't save that lil o ring you replace it and mechanicl school 101 you never ever oil an oring and let it sit. The oring will grow and not fit the hole right.
To the part about introducing something other than BF to a brake system, that's not what's happening, why does HD give you special lube to install seals? Your just putting a thin film on the seal and bore AFTER install, the reason same fluids create a path for flow. So by lubing the oring than install there's a path to leak around the backside of the oring.
Of course you may get away with it but for someone who does it for a living, that can kill someone.

Old 05-08-2016 | 02:14 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Opinion and Video pulled down!!! I hope you get it all squared away drspencer!!! PM me if you have any questions. I have both rebuilt and reassembled several calipers for powder coating. All are operating as designed without seeping or leaking seals!

There are several youtube video to see how to do this. I would suggest that you view them and get a feel for what everyone out there is doing and what is working for them.

Last edited by SpiderPig; 05-08-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2016 | 06:11 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by drspencer
2011 Street Glide, w/ABS.

Got a little carried away while cleaning the pistons on my front brake calipers with a shoelace & brake cleaner, and one of the pistons popped out of the bore of the caliper.

I gently pressed the piston back in the bore and cleaned up the brake fluid mess.

Am I good to go after a thorough bleeding, or should I take this opportunity and replace the compromised caliper?

Thanks
2012 Ultra no ABS

Can someone point me to a dissembled view of a Brembo caliper? w/ pics of the seals etc?

Looking to put in some new seals but wanted to see some images before I take something apart? pre-project phase.

Have not found anything online anywhere? (yet?)

Also, any tips on putting in new seals appreciated.

Does the entire caliper have to be removed from the bike and dissembled to put in the new seals? (mainly piston seals) or is this a dental pick kind of project?

Thank you very much.

Old 05-09-2016 | 06:15 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagman1
That video is so wrong, for one thing he didn't even clean the calipers which should be rinsed with denatured alchol only then dried with compressed air. You don't save that lil o ring you replace it and mechanicl school 101 you never ever oil an oring and let it sit. The oring will grow and not fit the hole right.
To the part about introducing something other than BF to a brake system, that's not what's happening, why does HD give you special lube to install seals? Your just putting a thin film on the seal and bore AFTER install, the reason same fluids create a path for flow. So by lubing the oring than install there's a path to leak around the backside of the oring.
Of course you may get away with it but for someone who does it for a living, that can kill someone.
Thanks. Per my question in the post above....wondered if you had any input?

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Piston Came Out of Caliper During Service. Replace or Repair Caliper?