Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Came Out of Caliper During Service. Replace or Repair Caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014 | 12:31 AM
LA VIC
Road Master

I'd try bleeding the brakes before heading to the dealer. If you didn't squeeze the lever the only fluid you should have lost would be in caliper and maybe in the line. That line goes up to the T fitting under the bottom of the fork tree. Then a single line goes all the way to the back of the bike to the ABS module. Only if air was introduced into the module would you need the dealers special equipment. I doubt very seriously that happened based on your description.

Old 05-15-2014 | 06:21 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LA VIC
I'd try bleeding the brakes before heading to the dealer. If you didn't squeeze the lever the only fluid you should have lost would be in caliper and maybe in the line. That line goes up to the T fitting under the bottom of the fork tree. Then a single line goes all the way to the back of the bike to the ABS module. Only if air was introduced into the module would you need the dealers special equipment. I doubt very seriously that happened based on your description.
Sounds like a reasonable plan. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2014 | 06:58 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member

you can bleed the brakes with abs...just don't power up the bike.. as when you do the abs cycles and may suck air in..as long as you don't turn on the bike you just bleed it like any other bike...if for some reason when you are finished bleeding the brake feels spongy then you need to take it into the dealer for bleeding...

Old 05-07-2016 | 11:59 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
Caliper is fine. Get a seal kit and replace the seals. No biggie.
curious how this turned out as HD only sells the entire caliper assembly and there are no rebuild kits on the aftermarket?

can't buy seals etc in any form of kit from HD.

Working on a 2012 Ultra caliper and found this out this week.

Old 05-07-2016 | 12:01 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by drspencer
2011 Street Glide, w/ABS.

Got a little carried away while cleaning the pistons on my front brake calipers with a shoelace & brake cleaner, and one of the pistons popped out of the bore of the caliper.

I gently pressed the piston back in the bore and cleaned up the brake fluid mess.

Am I good to go after a thorough bleeding, or should I take this opportunity and replace the compromised caliper?

Thanks
So what was the end result? how did you handle your issue?

Per post directly above, one cannot buy individual seals from HD or anywhere for that matter, so wondering how you handled this issue and what the outcome was?

Thanks.

Old 05-07-2016 | 01:05 PM
Bait56
Club Member
Veteran: Army

You can buy caliper rebuild kits on Amazon for under $40.00 so I am certain after market shops have them.

Old 05-07-2016 | 02:42 PM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer

If you have the Bembo caliper, and you do decide to replace the seal, your service manual will tell you it's not serviceable and that you need to buy a new caliper, your HD dealer will tell you the same.

They are both wrong.

The seal kits can be got at the links below and a Brembo caliper is as easy to repair as any other.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...build-kit.html

Old 05-07-2016 | 05:15 PM
Wraith04
Tourer

Seal kit from Drag Specialties #1702-0125, just used these to rebuild my calipers and only $13.95 on the Bay if you decide to rebuild. I'd say you are fine, just bleed brakes as the caliper is the last point in the system.

Old 05-07-2016 | 07:22 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
Since you have ABS, are you going to have the dealership use there Digital Tech to bleed your system? I'm sure there is someone that has done it without going to dealership & they'll tell you all about it. I'm with the dealership when it comes to ABS system.
It should be fine, but best practice is to rebuild the caliper, which includes disassembly, clean, rinse, replace rubber seals, re install, and bleed (again)
If you don't let the master run dry, you wouldn't need the dealer to flush it, you can do it yourself

Old 05-07-2016 | 09:11 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member

Opinion deleted

Last edited by SpiderPig; 05-08-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Piston Came Out of Caliper During Service. Replace or Repair Caliper?