Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind deflectors for a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:15 PM
nervous
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hdgzr
I believe that HD quit making the previous version, so all you can get is the new curved style from the MOCO...
true but the old style is still available in some places so I am curious if there are any advantages to either. They remain popular when they come up. Often worth more use than the newer ones new.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

The new curved ones work fine for me. I also think they are much better looking, the curved design kind of goes with the classic look of a Harley.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nervous
which version you using?
nervous, I'm using the older version. I bought them back in 2012.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:00 PM
nervous
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tedjay
nervous, I'm using the older version. I bought them back in 2012.
thanks. I just passed a set on eBay that was priced higher than new. The old ones are clearly longer than the new ones. Look the same at the bottom but come up higher behind the Lauren signal and aux lights. Wonder if they helps. Yet, for the many positive reviews, a lot are more likely with the newer version given the length of time the old one has been discontinued. And the reviews remain as solidly positive as the ones I had read from several years ago so it is probably a safe bet that they both work very well.

So I am going to order up a set of new ones and see how that goes. I do agree that to my eye they are a bit better looking. I'll report back once they are installed and tested.

Thanks all.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think these look terrible....but hey to each his own.

Also what's all this talk about buffeting with a Road King? Sorry to be a dick, but I don't get it.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:45 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 564 Likes on 394 Posts

I have the older version. Cruising at 75-80 they really make a difference with my LRS recurve shield. If i'm not on the highway,they go in one my bags,don't leave home without them.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:53 PM
nervous
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ben E
I think these look terrible....but hey to each his own. Also what's all this talk about buffeting with a Road King? Sorry to be a dick, but I don't get it.
Harrumph, harrumph, harrumph. Yeesh. What a fu**ing grump. If you're not bothered then good on ya. There's nothing in this thread that would interest you, eh? I see a couple posts like yours in every one of these threads.

But, I will say, that one of the first and only genuine annoyances I experienced on my Road King was the head rattling buffeting. It surprised me honestly. Not just a little "hey jackass, yer on a friggin motorcicle whadda you expect?" Kind of wind but the kind that batters your head so continually that it blurs your vision. And, with a partially detached vitreous in one eye that's just not a lid of fun. So all that macho **** be damned, I started looking for an answer instead of some Neanderthalic response of "There's wind on a bike, deal with it *****!" And once I started reading posts dating back several years that described the exact issue and the possibly solution being a set of these then why wouldn't I try?

Oh, I know. It's because you don't get it and it does not affect you, therefore it's stoopid.

Thanks for stopping by.

Last edited by nervous; 05-18-2014 at 09:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
blap (09-03-2020)
Old 05-18-2014, 10:24 PM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nervous
Gonna do this soon on my 09 FLHR but am now mulling old style vs new style. I gave read the new style is a bit shorter and perhaps not as effective as the old style. They appear in pics to be equal down the fork leg but perhaps a bit shorter behind the aux lights on the new style. Perhaps this is model dependent.

Anyone have experience with both that could comment?

I have had both kinds(old and new) the old set was on a 2000 Heritage though. I can say that the old and new sets(new set on a 2009 Streetglide) both work great...........

Old 05-18-2014, 10:52 PM
nervous
Tourer

Originally Posted by skiddd
I have had both kinds(old and new) the old set was on a 2000 Heritage though. I can say that the old and new sets(new set on a 2009 Streetglide) both work great...........
that's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:16 AM
sa53
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no experience with the old ones so I cant speak to that, however the new model is what I put on my RK and it made a very noticeable difference.

Quick Reply: Wind deflectors for a Road King