Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finally pulled the trigger...so to speak.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:45 PM
NAZ R1d3r
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default finally pulled the trigger...so to speak.

I bought a 2010 road king classic in October. First HD. From the moment I left the parking lot I knew I wanted apes. Today I finally ordered 16" gorillas from Burly. Next week grips and levers and all the cables and whatnot. Any companies you all recommend for the cables and exactly what length I need to get?

Old 05-13-2014, 03:01 PM
evil451
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! when I bought my RK, I liked it... when I put Apes on it.. I LOVED it.

16" yaffe's here...

as for cables, sorry, i dont know the lengths but i remember someone posting that you can buy kits based on the bars you bought. I have drag specialtiy cables (black). I didnt want the fancy ones!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:13 PM
flewbyu
Advanced

JandP Cycles has cable kits with everything you need. Customer support will help with your selection.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The best thing to do is mock up the bars using weed whacker line to simulate the clutch cable and brake lines. That way you can measure and get exactly what you need, and you'll also get a visual of how the cables look, in case you want to change the routing, or add clamps, etc. That's the best thing to do, but most guys just want to order the bars and cables and lines at the same time, to minimize downtime. You should be able to get a recommendation from the bars manufacturer as to what length you need.

I won't install a set of bars using a forum recommendation for cable length. Done that in the past, and had to re-do it, so now I measure every time, unless I've used those bars previously. Even if someone says they've installed the same bars, it might not be to your standard.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:47 PM
NAZ R1d3r
Advanced

Thanks for the responses guys. And I just ordered grips today which im psyched about. Avon air cushion grips. I call burly and see what they recommend. I've also been told to look into Barnett which I've yet to do.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 AM
evil451
Cruiser

oh and PICS when installed.... or we drop the ban hammer on ya! (kidding of course)

Old 05-15-2014, 12:22 AM
NAZ R1d3r
Advanced

Originally Posted by evil451
oh and PICS when installed.... or we drop the ban hammer on ya! (kidding of course)
Oh there will be plenty. It won be done for a couple weeks though. So what else do I need to grt? Just throttle extensions and extended cables?

Old 05-15-2014, 07:59 AM
evil451
Cruiser

wires too.... NAMZ is the kit i bought for the wiring. Are you going to internally wire? (do it.. worth it)

clutch cable, brake cable and wire extensions. There is no throttle cable since we are TBW.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:21 PM
NAZ R1d3r
Advanced

Originally Posted by evil451
wires too.... NAMZ is the kit i bought for the wiring. Are you going to internally wire? (do it.. worth it)

clutch cable, brake cable and wire extensions. There is no throttle cable since we are TBW.
Honestly im so new at this and its confusing. Are the wires inside the cable from the throttle? I guess what im asking is if I don internal wiring then I'll only have one cable outside the bars on each side, correct? If I understand correctly then heavier want to do the internal wiring.

And here's the bars. They just got here today.

finally pulled the trigger...so to speak.-forumrunner_20140515_212020.jpg

Old 05-16-2014, 07:18 AM
evil451
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NAZ R1d3r
Honestly im so new at this and its confusing. Are the wires inside the cable from the throttle? I guess what im asking is if I don internal wiring then I'll only have one cable outside the bars on each side, correct? If I understand correctly then heavier want to do the internal wiring.

And here's the bars. They just got here today.

Attachment 378302
Yeah 1 cable on each side... TBW is just wire like your wires for your horn, light switch, etc..

Quick Reply: finally pulled the trigger...so to speak.