Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud horns meaningfully useful?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 AM
MaceWindu
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Horns

Originally Posted by pastime
A louder horn cannot be a bad thing, just like you (almost) can't have too many lights on your bike. I swapped the OEM horn for a Mini-Beast and am thinking I may want to go louder, as I do some freeway riding to/from work.
I totally agree with you, I have the Mini-Beast, and it's fairly loud, but louder would be better. If only I could mount a semi horn for the blind and deaf cell phone using cagers around here!

Old 05-14-2014, 08:31 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by jkane13
The horn is not for after a car is making a left turn in front of you. It's not for after a car is already half way into your lane.

The horn is for when you see someone fumbling with their cell phone in front of you and then they start to drift into your lane. It wakes them up before you have to take defensive actions. Or, while you are taking defensive actions.

The horn is for when you are coming to a hidden intersection. Like a train, it is not illegal to blow your horn just in case someone is hiding and getting ready to take left turn and they can't see you yet.

BTW: I don't know where your horn buttons are, but mine is next to my thumb. I do NOT have to take my hand off the handlebar to use it. As a matter of fact, I almost always have the horn covered with my thumb while on the freeway. That is my defensive driving posture!
I couldn't have said it better myself. bagman1, I am not the only one that is correct/understands the issue.

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-14-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:57 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

I asked a friend to look in my TLP7 Headlamp to confirm some kind of small bug walking around in there when the head lamp was on. As he stared intently into the head light, I got on my bike and turned on the head light. Then I blared down on my recently installed three fiamm horn set up, that I call the trifecta - two low note, one high note.
Damn thing sounds like an old Cadillac Fleetwood, and will wake the dead.
Buddy was plastered into the wall, and crumpled up on the floor.
They were worth it for that moment!
Handy to stop cars from pulling out in front of you, toot at folks out and about, and to other bikers it sets you apart from the herd.
Get 'em at Amazon, about $30 for the trifecta...
Had a new front tire installed at the dealer recently. As they were pulling it out, the Tech riding my bike hit the horn for someone to open the doors.
Guys at the counter and waiting area all went "Damn!"
That's my 'King!
Leave the wimpy *** horns for the Suzuki punks.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:07 PM
MaceWindu
Novice

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I couldn't have said it better myself. bagman1, I am not the only one that is correct/understands the issue.
Well said! A rider who knows is a defensive rider who keeps his situational awareness at all times. I can tell you my Mini-Besat has saved my bacon many times when a cager was out to lunch at the wheel; just last month I "woke up" a cager about to turn left in front of me.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:22 AM
MaceWindu
Novice

Originally Posted by rjg883c
How exactly do you operate your horn? My scooters have always only needed a movement of my left thumb. And that is surely faster then " adjust your riding position in relation to the vehicle you speak of".

This also works when there isn't time to adjust your position.

You are right "To each their own though".
I agree! The horn on a modern Harley is right at thumb's reach. Most competent and defensive-minded riders are already constantly adjusting their position on relation to other vehicles; why not use the horn in conjunction?

Most of today's cage drivers are far too busy on their cell phone to see how beautifully you're adjusting your position in relation to them when they hit you.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:07 PM
03snake
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I am going to buy this new HD horn, that fits in the pre-13 stock horn cover, and is 5 db louder, which on another thread was said to be twice as loud.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...mount-horn-kit
I put this on when I installed the Daymaker reflector HL on my '13 SG. Much louder than stock, fits under the stock cover and reasonably priced. I also use it when small group riding for communication, i.e.: 1 beep = washroom break, 2 beeps = gas, 3 beeps = time for lunch etc.

Last edited by 03snake; 05-15-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Allison Wunderland
Banned

Originally Posted by cncmike
The factory horn and most horns of that type are adjustable. I thought mine was dying until I adjusted it and now it's louder than original. There is a screw on the backside covered with black silicone. Cut off the silicone with a knife and turn the screw while holding down the horn button. You will be surprised.
This adjustment is intended to extend the life of a dying horn. It will bring a dying horn back to life, but not forever. The adjustment works for a while, and then the horn dies again.

I Googled "decibel" -- Physics is not my field:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

The decibel (dB) is a logarithmic unit used to express the ratio between two values of a physical quantity, often power or intensity. One of these quantities is often a reference value, and in this case the decibel can be used to express the absolute level of the physical quantity. The number of decibels is ten times the logarithm to base 10 of the ratio of the two power quantities.[1] A decibel is one tenth of a bel, a seldom-used unit named in honor of Alexander Graham Bell.

The definition of the decibel is based on the measurement practices in telephony of the early 20th century in the Bell System in the United States. Today, the unit is used for a wide variety of measurements in science and engineering, most prominently in acoustics, electronics, and control theory. In electronics, the gains of amplifiers, attenuation of signals, and signal-to-noise ratios are often expressed in decibels. The decibel confers a number of advantages, such as the ability to conveniently represent very large or small numbers, and the ability to carry out multiplication of ratios by simple addition and subtraction. However, the unit has been criticized by professionals as being cumbersome and confusing.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I looked at the Wolo Bad Boy air horn from Harbor Freight. It was on sale for $34.95. It seemed reasonably well designed, but I wasn't enthusiastic about the "one screw mounting" system. It looked like it would not mount securly on a bike and fall off in short order.

I bought the new HD horn -- mfg'd by Roots, and looks identical to the existing horn on my 2010 Street Glide. Except on the bell area there's a different stock number. All the other numbers are the same. Mounts in the existing brackets under the chrome "shell" cover.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...mount-horn-kit

This is the new horn in the 2014 Harley Davidson bikes. I tested the sound in the showroom. The new horn is noticeably louder than the old horn. But I can't put a number on it. (Also, what sounds loud in the showroom, might sound puny on the freeway.)

At any rate, I bought one and installed it. It's louder, and the install is simple. Four accessible nuts, and two wire clips. $44.95

Last edited by Allison Wunderland; 05-15-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:28 PM
utrvp
Tourer

Originally Posted by bagman1
An even better defensive move would be to adjust your riding position in relation to the vehicle you speak of that way you still have both hands on the grips prepared for any kind of action needed. To each their own though.
Who takes their hand off the grips to blow the horn? I have been riding bikes for 45 years including Japanese, British, German and American and have never had or ridden one that required taking my hand off the grip to blow the horn.

Read my post a little closer. I clearly said "I take defensive action but I also give them a toot so they are aware I am there and they too can take proper action.". Either of those alone could be effective, both together work better.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Allison Wunderland
Banned

Originally Posted by speedy540
How big is this bad boy job? Does it fit under the cowbell?
It does not fit under the cowbell -- stock HD shell.

The boxy bracket at the top of the compressor (round cylinder, left) is the mounting option. This is the back side of the unit. The front side -- facing out on the bike -- is decent enough looking, no "Bad Boy" graphic. Pretty much black with a chrome "Wolo" disk like the one shown on this side.

It's intended for mounting under the hood of a car/truck -- like on the firewall -- with a single sheet metal style screw. With some work and effort this "box mount" as shown might be secured to the mounting bolt on the Harley . . . Difficult to reach, not too well engineered. (Read, "Jury Rigged")

Issue has been raised in other posts about the power draw on this unit, fuses, amps, etc. Before I launch into those issues, I decided to opt for the new HD unit -- which is significantly louder, mounts under the cow bell shell, plug and play, and no modification of existing mounting brackets.

New HD Horn ran $44.95 -- This Wolo was on sale at Harbor Freight for $34.99.

I'm seeing nice, chrome plated dual trumpets mounted on some of the bikes in the shop.

-----------------------------------

Here's another thread I found on this forum site:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...s-horns-2.html

Last edited by Allison Wunderland; 05-15-2014 at 11:22 PM.