Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud horns meaningfully useful?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:16 PM
speedy540
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Allison Wunderland
Looking at the Wolo "Bad Boy" on Harbor Freight --

http://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy...orn-94117.html

I like the concept, but I don't care for the funky graphics -- Is there a way to remove this stuff?
How big is this bad boy job? Does it fit under the cowbell?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:49 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Truth of the matter is if you see a situation and you need to use the horn. That means you have recognized a hazard and choose to commit to honking instead of reacting. Any professional drivers course 101 will tell you that
Does 101 teach that sometimes things happen too fast to react and that some(many) times judicious use of a horn will prevent a further need for action? Of course that requires the need to recognize the imminent possibility of another vehicles action and taking preemptive action, instead of just cruising along enjoying the ride.

Is 101 where you learned that it is necessary to remove 1, or both, hands from the grips in order to 'sound' a horn? If so I wouldn't put to much stock in their teachings.

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-13-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Does 101 teach that sometimes things happen too fast to react and that some(many) times judicious use of a horn will prevent a further need for action? Of course that requires the need to recognize the imminent possibility of another vehicles action and taking preemptive action, instead of just cruising along enjoying the ride.

Is 101 where you learned that it is necessary to remove 1, or both, hands from the grips in order to 'sound' a horn? If so I wouldn't put to much stock in their teachings.
never mind, obviously you are the only one correct. Im done with this pony show. WTF!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 PM
hornetguy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The WOLO horn looks like a copy of the Stebel Nautilus, which is what I put on my 08 Road King. I used the original mount bracket and the wiring from the horn switch to operate the relay. I pulled a fused hot wire off the positive battery post through the relay to the horn. It is MUCH louder than the stock horn (think "meep, meep") This is a dual tone 80 something decibel horn, sounds like a 74 Caddy. It has gotten people's attention starting to change lanes, one lady starting to back out in a parking lot.... definitely helps. Of course, some people will ignore freight trains, so it's not a bullet-proof vest, just a much better horn.
One thing... it can vibrate apart. The outer housing vibrated loose on mine so that it slipped down about 3/8"... just enough to lose the connection at the top where it connects to the compressor (?).... result... no horn. I pushed it back together and used black JB weld to build up little resistance dams to keep it from coming back apart. So far, it's still holding after a couple of months.
I bought the black version to match my engine, and it looks like it belongs there.....

Old 05-13-2014, 09:23 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

I posted "Does 101 teach that sometimes things happen too fast to react and that some(many) times judicious use of a horn will prevent a further need for action? Of course that requires the need to recognize the imminent possibility of another vehicles action and taking preemptive action, instead of just cruising along enjoying the ride.

Is 101 where you learned that it is necessary to remove 1, or both, hands from the grips in order to 'sound' a horn? If so I wouldn't put to much stock in their teachings." as serious questions. It was an attempt to learn something that I may have missed by not taking a class.

Originally Posted by bagman1
never mind, obviously you are the only one correct. Im done with this pony show. WTF!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:35 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Allison Wunderland
Looking at the Wolo "Bad Boy" on Harbor Freight --

http://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy...orn-94117.html

I like the concept, but I don't care for the funky graphics -- Is there a way to remove this stuff?
On the Wolo web page, they show it in chrome.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NADA! No horn at all. Never used it when I had one on any bike and have been riding for almost 50 years. React - don't push a button. Turn, brake, DO something other than honking a horn.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Danny D
NADA! No horn at all. Never used it when I had one on any bike and have been riding for almost 50 years. React - don't push a button. Turn, brake, DO something other than honking a horn.
It has been my experience that many times using a horn prevents a need to "Turn, brake, DO something other than honking a horn". But as bagman1 posted "To each their own though".

Old 05-14-2014, 05:13 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,643 Likes on 1,071 Posts

One thing I hadn't anticipated is people being confused by my Harley's horn.

Metric bikes have wimpy "meep-meep" horns. You can barely hear them, but you recognize them as being a motorcycle horn.

The Harley horn is an automotive horn. It's loud, and sounds like a car. I've had people, even other bikers, looking all around in total confusion when I've used my Harley horn, as they can't find the invisible car they are hearing.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:08 AM
jkane13
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The horn is not for after a car is making a left turn in front of you. It's not for after a car is already half way into your lane.

The horn is for when you see someone fumbling with their cell phone in front of you and then they start to drift into your lane. It wakes them up before you have to take defensive actions. Or, while you are taking defensive actions.

The horn is for when you are coming to a hidden intersection. Like a train, it is not illegal to blow your horn just in case someone is hiding and getting ready to take left turn and they can't see you yet.

BTW: I don't know where your horn buttons are, but mine is next to my thumb. I do NOT have to take my hand off the handlebar to use it. As a matter of fact, I almost always have the horn covered with my thumb while on the freeway. That is my defensive driving posture!

Quick Reply: Loud horns meaningfully useful?