Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools for everyday use and long trips...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:56 AM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of those very small bungee cords and maybe some a little larger. You would be suprized what they can be used for.

Tools for everyday use and long trips...-linkage-repair.jpg

Old 05-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Tony Steele
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what you can fix on the side of the road with some of those tool kits. It seems anything that you need to 'tighten' wasn't checked properly before you left for the ride. Most the general items you can pick up for less as you need them at nearly and gas station rather than carry them around 'just in case'. Anything 'worn out' most likely needs a shop to fix, or needs a ready replacement. I would just take the kit similar to what comes with the bikes, a tire repair kit, and good contingency plan. (Tow service, buddy with a truck, whatever)

Old 05-13-2014, 10:26 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,738 Likes on 797 Posts

Here's what I got...

Attached Thumbnails Tools for everyday use and long trips...-photo.jpg  
Old 05-13-2014, 11:00 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by soniccbr
Full set of Torx You only need three t25, t27, t40

Full set of Alan’s It's Allen or hex when talking tools

Ratchet & compact set of drives (various SAE sizes) wrenches 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 10mm 12 pt

You don't need much else for roadside fixes. Any bigger a job than that, you'll be calling for a tow.
Sounds like the Cruz Tools Multi-tool is perfect for the job then. I carry one, along with a few misc. items.

From their website:
Outback'r H13 for Harley-Davidsons The Outback’r H13 is a powerhouse of functionality. Included are three hex keys (5/32”, 3/16”, 1/4”), two star keys (T25, T27), slotted and Phillips screwdrivers, a socket driver with 3/8”, 7/16”, and 1/2” sockets, 10mm box and 9/16” open-end wrenches, plus a spoke wrench. At only 10 ounces and 3.5” long, even chopper riders won’t have trouble carrying it.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Wild Duck
Cruiser

I always carry a couple rolls of this with me, on the boat, RV, truck and on the bike. It works and has saved me a couple time. Have found a difference in quality so I always buy the original.
http://www.rescuetape.com/

Old 05-13-2014, 11:41 AM
utrvp
Tourer

Originally Posted by The Cheesehead
Great advise, Thanks. I've spent quite a bit of time wrenching on my scoot, but when it comes to prepping for a long or short ride, I've been known to go a bit overboard. Unfortunately, keeping it simple is not as easy for some as it is for others. It's not about having confidence or not in my ride...it's about planning.

I think the same may be said for carrying a concealed firearm or a saddlebag gas can or...well, you may see me point here. I'd just rather have it and not need it vs. need it and not have it. I do agree, though, there may a bit more thinning out left to do.
Murphy's Law dictates the one thing you don't have will be the one thing you need most. BTW, did anyone mention spark plugs or oil?

Old 05-13-2014, 12:18 PM
goatshow
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Also better get the warm weather machine running buddy, we got frost in the forecast a few nights in a row coming up.
Kris
I saw that too, I'm done with the cold.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:27 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Some great ideas here already and sun screen and lip balm are two huge ones. Something to add is a small spray bottle of any kind of cleaner. Not so much for the windshield, but when you are in the shop, ya always have brake clean or something, on the side of the road a small spray can of windshield cleaner is better than nothing for sure for cleaning surfaces with a rag or threads or whatever.
Also better get the warm weather machine running buddy, we got frost in the forecast a few nights in a row coming up.
Kris
Lip balm is one that I always have. Being on a King, I rarely ride with a wind shield and it gets a bit brutal at times. The simplest miss for me has been a simple rag...so darn many uses and the flat tire fix. I've gotta find that somewhere. There was one suggestion early on...any others?

Stay warm.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:32 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by utrvp
Murphy's Law dictates the one thing you don't have will be the one thing you need most. BTW, did anyone mention spark plugs or oil?
Damn that Murphy! Spark plugs are mentioned earlier.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Wild Duck
Cruiser

You will always carry what you need...after you needed it..

Quick Reply: Tools for everyday use and long trips...