Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats, lets get down to it...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:30 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Seats, lets get down to it...

Lots of threads about seats, and what everybody recommends for comfort... I know everybody has a different point of view on this so lets take the comfort aspect out of the equation. I'm looking for a seat for my RKC, A solo seat in fact. Id like the seat to drop me down INTO the bike instead of the feeling of sitting ON TOP of the bike i have now. I'm also 6'3" so I wouldn't mind being moved back a little bit too. I have been looking at the Brawler seat. For the folks that have this seat, does it fit the bill? Ive heard the seat moves you down and inch or so and back a couple of inches... Ive also looked at DG seats and came across the butt crack solo. Does this have more drop and set back than the brawler? Any other seats out there that would meet these 2 requirements? Thx for any input

Old 05-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Allison Wunderland
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comfort is the whole point in choosing a seat. Riding about 12 K annually, I opted for the HD Air Zeppelin -- after a lot of input from other riders, staff at the dealership. This seat is expensive, and looks like a floatation device. It's the widest (24") seat I've seen on any bike. Huge, broad, high support across the aft, around the hips.Two electric air cushion adjustments for the rider, one adjust for the passenger. Nice to be able to fine tune / change position while riding.

This seat, coupled with a standard adj. HD backrest (which fits snugly above the rear support roll on the Zeppelin rather than sticking out from the seat surface) and I have a saddle that is comfortable for miles and miles (800 mile days) day in and day out.

Cross country tours with this saddle. A few days out and everyone else is complaining about their sore butts. This saddle is intended for long distance touring, and fills the bill.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:56 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the Brawler is hard and it doesn't cradle your rear, in aggressive riding, you may slide a bit- the seating position does change the relationship between your feets and the controls, the ball of the foot ends up nicely covering the brake- the shifter is a little fiddly and I'm thinking about getting a swing away rear peg. I have only used this seat for shorter rides.

( I'm about 6' 1.5")

I do very much like the bumper at the rear of the 09/10 FLHX seat which i also use, It holds me secure. This seat is god for 4 hours, painful at 6

- and I use the Ultra seat when i tour- all day comfort

as the seating position changes, i swap windscreens to match my seated height

the brawler seating position is down and back about 1" and 1" from the streetglide seating position.

one thing before a solo seat, pull off you seat and make sure the fender isn't damaged from your current seat. a few riders have got the new solo seat home, removed the old and ...disappointment as the fender is scratched, scuffed etc,

backrest: I had discectomy a few years ago ( L3/L4), I find that the backrest pushing on my lower back as remaining in place while I move up and down is not comfortable...

a couple of pics, you can reference the crash bars vs seating position

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-12-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:59 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior

I realize comfort is what the seat is all about. I'm just wanting to find out what seats fit my 2 requirements and then look at the comfort level of each after that. No worries on my fender. I pulled the seat off the other day and it looks good under there... I'm circling around the brawler right now, but definitely open to others

Old 05-12-2014, 12:23 PM
mickeylynn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a mustang wide tripper w/ removable backrest on my SG. You can also add the separate passenger seat. It's lower than stock SG seat maybe back a little, not sure. It has plenty of seating surface. The material has some traction I suppose for riding w/o the backrest but it doesn't stop your butt from sliding back in your jeans. Just bouncing around town I like to take off the backrest because it looks cleaner. I'm so glad I opted for the backrest option though for everything else. I get compliments on it pretty often and the Harley tech that did my 1k service said he loved it and he of course had to test drive for the service.

I would say up to 300 miles its fine. We did about 375 miles the other day and my butt wasn't the happiest on the last stretch home.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

I know some guys hate em, but I love my Corbin Dual Tourer. I'm 6'3" and with my Heritage 09 bars (56569-09) I can ride all day.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:30 PM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The Corbin Classic Solo drops you down "into" the bike, and a little back. The seat "back" scoops the butt, lending to the feeling you are "in" the bike rather than on the bike.

Hubby has one, but is only 6', but to me (5'7") it drops the rider back pretty far.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:43 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior

Overall MKguitar... Are you happy with the Brawler? I think its gonna be between that and one of the DG solo seats...

Old 05-13-2014, 09:20 AM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm 6'4" and I sat on a brawler and found it like sitting on a barrel. I am a fan of Crobin seats. I have a crobin touring solo, Definatly sets you down and back. I did over 400 miles on Saturday with no issues.

Crobin also has the Hollywood solo, not a touring solo but it will get you down and back.

Crobin also has no visable hardware and no tool required ( uses a key ) to remove and install. Some of those other seats have a crazy exposed hardware.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:52 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
Overall MKguitar... Are you happy with the Brawler?
Yeah, It's good.

I bought from a forum member for cheap- & i like that part.

I have had it for about 3 years and it goes on and off depending on what I am doing.

BTW there is one on the forum classifieds right now- more than I paid though.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-13-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Seats, lets get down to it...