Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help from the pros

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Classx
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help from the pros

Gang,

The speedo cable broke on my 1999 FLHTCUI (Ultra Glide) and I dropped it off at the dealer to have it replaced for $117.00. They looked at my mileage (38,500) and told me I needed my 40,000 mile service which required a complete bottom end rebuild in excess of $1,000.00, and if the cam tensioners failed it would be catastrophic for my engine. I declined. I called another Harley dealer in my area, told them of my mileage and they told me I needed a bundle of services (stuff I already maintain), but did not mention the rebuild. The bike runs great and I ride a lot. I leave for a couple thousand mile round trip in a month. What should I really be concerned about, if anything?

Last edited by Classx; 05-12-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

A complete rebuild? Hell no, unless you are experiencing some real problems which it sounds like you aren't.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A rebuild?? 99 to 02 were the best years for bottom end engines, Timkin crank bearings, forged bottomd end, only thing I would check are the cam tensioners, I also have a 99 and mine were gone at 38k miles. I have 68k miles on my bottom end with no problems, keep that bike, the bottom end will last a very long time and are great for gear drive cams, they hardly ever have crank run out issues unlike the newer cheap cranks they make now.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Classx
1st Gear

I just got off the phone with a Harley tech (those guys are good). I was told not to worry about the cam tensioners unless I begin to hear a ticking noise on the left side of the bike. That will alert me to the need to have the cam tensioners replaced.

When I mentioned a bottom end rebuild, I wasn't talking about the engine, just all the bearings and cam tensioners inside the primary...sorry for the confusion.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

You need to visually inspect the tensioners. I am not aware of any audible cues that they are going bad...other than the sound a blown engine makes from lack of oil of course

Old 05-12-2014, 09:08 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior

Yes, you need to visually look at them, if you wait for noise it could be the tensioners comming apart, when that happens the pieces of plastic can go thru your engine ruining the oil pump and clogging small oil passasges, that will ruin the engine very quickly, do you really want to risk waiting to hear it happening, and on your long trip it could be even worse, you really need to check them or have them checked, if they are worn pretty far, and I have a feeling they are, at minimum have them replaced, or upgrade to the hyd kit from HD, or go gear drive and never worry about tensioners again, its your bike, $500 to replace tensioners? Or risk loosing your engine?

And when they replace the tensioners they also replace the cam bearings since they have to pull the cam assembly out to replace the inner tensioner, they should also use B-148 Torrington cam bearings, is an upgrade to stock cam bearings, I believe they are now made by Timkin

Last edited by fwb35; 05-12-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:15 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Classx
I just got off the phone with a Harley tech (those guys are good). I was told not to worry about the cam tensioners unless I begin to hear a ticking noise on the left side of the bike. That will alert me to the need to have the cam tensioners replaced.

When I mentioned a bottom end rebuild, I wasn't talking about the engine, just all the bearings and cam tensioners inside the primary...sorry for the confusion.
even more confusion as the tech and cam tensioners in the primary? Wha! I think I would have to have asked...."what yu talkin bout willis?"

Old 05-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Classx
1st Gear

Did you replace the bearings and springs at the same time, or just the cam tensioners?

Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fwb35
A rebuild?? 99 to 02 were the best years for bottom end engines, Timkin crank bearings, forged bottomd end, only thing I would check are the cam tensioners, I also have a 99 and mine were gone at 38k miles. I have 68k miles on my bottom end with no problems, keep that bike, the bottom end will last a very long time and are great for gear drive cams, they hardly ever have crank run out issues unlike the newer cheap cranks they make now.
+1 He hit it on the head....

Old 05-12-2014, 09:28 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Classx
Did you replace the bearings and springs at the same time, or just the cam tensioners?
When the tensioners get replaced they have to pull the whole assembly out, so yes the bearings should get replaced, and make sure they use the Torrington or Timkin B-148 cam bearings, the tensioners come complete with new springs, they dont just replace the shoes.

Quick Reply: Help from the pros