Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help from the pros

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Tensioners need to be checked. Not sure what they consider a rebuild but new inner and outer cam bearings and chain tensioners are a good idea at that mileage. If doing that you might as well do lifters and cams as well. The cam plate will already be out of the cam chest and either the heads will be off or the pushrods cut depending on your course of action. The inner chain tensioner usually wears faster than the outer as well so inspect both, not just the outer.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:53 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Classx
I just got off the phone with a Harley tech (those guys are good). I was told not to worry about the cam tensioners unless I begin to hear a ticking noise on the left side of the bike. That will alert me to the need to have the cam tensioners replaced.

When I mentioned a bottom end rebuild, I wasn't talking about the engine, just all the bearings and cam tensioners inside the primary...sorry for the confusion.
You really need to find another source for technical guidance than the tech you talked to.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:57 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by fwb35
A rebuild?? 99 to 02 were the best years for bottom end engines, Timkin crank bearings, forged bottomd end, only thing I would check are the cam tensioners, I also have a 99 and mine were gone at 38k miles. I have 68k miles on my bottom end with no problems, keep that bike, the bottom end will last a very long time and are great for gear drive cams, they hardly ever have crank run out issues unlike the newer cheap cranks they make now.

excellent advice here.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:01 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Classx
Gang,

The speedo cable broke on my 1999 FLHTCUI (Ultra Glide) and I dropped it off at the dealer to have it replaced for $117.00. They looked at my mileage (38,500) and told me I needed my 40,000 mile service which required a complete bottom end rebuild in excess of $1,000.00, and if the cam tensioners failed it would be catastrophic for my engine. I declined. I called another Harley dealer in my area, told them of my mileage and they told me I needed a bundle of services (stuff I already maintain), but did not mention the rebuild. The bike runs great and I ride a lot. I leave for a couple thousand mile round trip in a month. What should I really be concerned about, if anything?
I hate to say it but it sounds about right to me...But first let me clear up what I think the dealer was saying...I think they were saying you need the bottom end of the cam case rebuilt i.e., cam tensioners, cam bearings ...and it makes sense to me if they are going to take the exhaust, cam cover etc. off on a bike with your mileage to check for wear (which you prolly have) on the tensioner shoes that they go ahead and replace them and the cam bearing should be replaced while they are in there...all that equals around a grand...while they are in there they may find that your cams and lifters are worn also if that is the case you may end up paying another $500 or so...if the oil pump is iffy you may need to toss in a few more hundreds..it all depends on what they find when they open it up...