Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles is to many???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:04 PM
EL GRINGO
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many miles is to many???

I'm looking to buy a RK or a Street glide, I've been searching the iner-web like crazy, some bikes look amazing, the price looks good, then in the small print read 4 trillion miles, ok maybe not quite that many, but its up there. My pastor rides a RK he bought it with 13,000 it now has 106,000, so I see if its taken care of properly they will last!!!!!

So two questions:

How many is to many….. miles???

Harley Dealer or any other dealer or private seller???

Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 PM
prezflyr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

52,000 miles on my 09 Ultra and still running like a new one. Good maintenance is the ticket.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:58 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by EL GRINGO
...So two questions:

How many is to many….. miles???

Harley Dealer or any other dealer or private seller???
I've seen bikes that had relatively few miles but was so poorly maintained and ridden so hard the bike was about at the end of its life.

So, it's not so much the actual number of miles but riding style and care of the bike.

As to dealer or private seller...you take essentially the same risk as to condition of the bike.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2014, 06:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There is no easy answer to your question, you really have to decide that for yourself. Even putting a number on the average annual mileage for a Harley is difficult, because some ride a substantial mileage every year, while many do a very small mileage. As for where to buy, a dealer should give you good after sales support and a warranty on a recent bike, while buying private has a perceived risk, but expect lower prices.

Where do YOU place your priorities?! There is a bike for you out there, so keep your eyes open and visit sellers, especially dealers, so you can size up what is available and local prices.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:28 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

Mine is a 07 with 83000 but I would sell really cheap because of the miles, With that said, I ain't selling so I can tell you I wouldn't buy a bike with that many miles on it...I would consider under 25000 or 30000 hut like other have said... You can get a bike with 20000 on it that has been a used so be vigilant in checking it out.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:04 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

The one thing you need to think about, after the general care of the bike, is the cam chain tensioners and do they need replacing. The 06s and earlier need replacing with as little as 20K miles on the bike. The newer cam chain tension devices are not really reporting high mileage wear but they do wear up there on the 100K range.

With all of the garage queens in the world, you should be able to find a decent low mileage ride.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:25 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by prezflyr
52,000 miles on my 09 Ultra and still running like a new one. Good maintenance is the ticket.
Right! Good maintenance is the ticket!

I bought my RK new in 2010 and it now has about 35K miles on it. I have been meticulous about maintenance and it seems to be running better every year. Whatever bike you land on, be sure to ask the seller about how they have maintained the bike. Ask for proof, a running log of their oil changes, etc. You will be surprised at how many do keep good records on that stuff.

Also, look the bike over for evidence of riding habits, scratches on the engine guards or bag guards is not a good thing, look at the bottom side of the foot boards or pegs for scraps from going too fast through turns, look at the muffler exits for exhaust, pull the dipstick for the crankcase and the tranny and look at the oil.

Good Luck,

Mike

Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie

With all of the garage queens in the world, you should be able to find a decent low mileage ride.
They are out there.....
If i was looking to buy used, I would be taking out ads and letting them come to me.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

There are lots of low mileage garage queens for sale. Why buy a bike with lots of miles when you can get a good deal on a low mileage bike that YOU can put all he miles on instead of someone else. I have purchased 3 of these low mileage bikes in the last 8 years. SJ Ron

Old 05-11-2014, 09:23 AM
EL GRINGO
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the great replies, I'm enjoying looking at the bikes, and the anticipation of getting one soon, just need to be patient, and don't let the shinny chrome and paint blind my view, not that you can't have both and well running bike. Thanks again!!!!

Quick Reply: How many miles is to many???