Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
cwoodall
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite Radio Dilema

First, I have an '07 Ultra. I did not get XM/Sirius radio programming, just the stock radio/CD..etc

To get satellite, is it just a software change....or is there hardware also???

Second, does anybody have one of those small (iPod-sized) satellite radio/mp3 recievers??? I assume I could just plug one of those into the Aux. jack on my radio.

What is everybody using? What's cool and what's a PITA...????

Thanks,

CW

Old 03-29-2007, 03:28 PM
BlkNyt
Advanced
Default RE: Satellite Radio Dilema

I've got an '06 RG, and my brother-in-law and I just installed a Zumo 550, which is linked to a just-installed Autocom system. In order to get XM, I also had to install the Garmin XM antenna, which also gives me real time traffic and weather displayed on the Nav system. I had some issues with the Autocom GFI unit that is supposed to interface with the Zumo, but the Autocom techs tell me a fix is being released momentarily. I think we may have worked a temporary solution until the new unit comes in. Since it was just added, I haven't done anything other than short trips around town, and it appears to be working very well. I'm going to San Diego and environs (a few hundred miles) this weekend with my wife, so I will be giving it a bit of a shakedown, but I think I'm really going to like the XM feature...

Old 03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a Hardware ADD... HD will ADD the Sat system for $$$$$ - or what I did is purchase a XM SPORTSCASTER XM RADIO for $19.00 (after rebate) - Very Small - Wireless to your current Radio - took aroound 30 min to install - ran the XM antena to the top side of my RG's Radio Housing\Dash - WORK GREAT!!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 04:44 PM
cwoodall
Advanced

Yea, looks like about a $495 hardware add..........................yeeeeesh!!!!!! I am considering the Pioneer Inno1. It does XM radio and mp3/wma...........After rebates,looks like about $149. Plus, I can carry it around and use it in my truck or home as well. Ya know, I seem to have WAY too many gadgets. Heck, whatever happened to kick-start??????? Hehehehahaah.

Thanks,

CW

Old 03-29-2007, 04:50 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SoCal_Pappy

It's a Hardware ADD... HD will ADD the Sat system for $$$$$ - or what I did is purchase a XM SPORTSCASTER XM RADIO for $19.00 (after rebate) - Very Small - Wireless to your current Radio - took aroound 30 min to install - ran the XM antena to the top side of my RG's Radio Housing\Dash - WORK GREAT!!!!!!!

You can use the wireless feature as long as you don't travel a lot. The transmitter in the satellite receiver transmits on anunused FM frequency in your area so it you travel into an area where that frequency is used, you have to reset everything. I just gave up and used a 2" patch cord from the Sat tuner to the Harley radio AUX plug.
The XM's don't seem to be a picky as Sirius with antenna placement. I use Sirius because I like the programming better but wound up having to make a little metal plate for the antenna base.

I spent about $80 for everything--the tuner was a close out at $30 and the mounts (RAM) were $50.The Provider charge was $120/year but you gotta pay that no matter what you get.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:01 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

XM & SIRIUS just merged... Got my letter yesterday as they stated that they plan on increasing the channels to incorp. most of both systems programming...
As far as the FM Mod... I live in California and there are radio stations everywhere including all the Mex stations from across the boarder... As it is right now the reception being so close to the radio I haven't had too much bleed over??? But it wouldn't be a problem to direct connect the untis together... Same cable I use for my Ipod!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 07:09 PM
BIGCHIEF
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Pioneer Inno for my XM, along with the 12" patch cord t oput it into the AUX of the radio. The Inno is placed into the windshield bag and off we go. It's nice and small (about the size of a credit card) and can be used in any vehicle. I am looking for a mount that will allow the inno to be on the handlebar; This will allow me to easily change channels, or give the wife the included remote and she can do it from the rear....change channels, that is.

Trending Topics

Old 03-29-2007, 07:14 PM
RICHINTX
Advanced

If you can afford it go with the HD hardware install. That's what I did. You don't have another gadget on your bars, extra chord pluging in to the front of your radio, something else to remove when you go in somewhereand the display is on the radio in front of you. The controls on the bars also work for changing channels etc. The antenna is also hidden under the faring.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:20 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

BIGCHIEF - Check E-Bay - There is someone there selling a Univ Mount that will attach to you control mount (Rt or Lf side)... Works well with most anything!!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:40 PM
TJB50
Tourer

ORIGINAL: RICHINTX

If you can afford it go with the HD hardware install. That's what I did. You don't have another gadget on your bars, extra chord pluging in to the front of your radio, something else to remove when you go in somewhereand the display is on the radio in front of you. The controls on the bars also work for changing channels etc. The antenna is also hidden under the faring.
I agree 100%. Just had my EG Classic upgraded with factory XM and Hogtune speakers last weekend and it's great. I can't keep the radio off.

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio Dilema