Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Countersteering

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Countersteering

Counter steering is absolutly awesome to play with when you first try it. Try this if you have never done it before. Find a nice clean stretch of road and travel at a mild pace. Say 30 -35 miles an hour. Next push on the right handlebar forward just a hair. What happens is that when you push on the right the bike twists down to the right in a fairly fast and smooth way. When you want to come back up straight let the pressure go and the bike will right itself back up.

Practice this and in time you can use this technique to take very sharp corners a lot faster then you thought you could before.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: curmudgeon
<Snipped> David Hough kept popping up. Apparently he has written the Bible of motorcycle riding, "Proficient Motorcycling". <Snipped>
That and his next book "More Proficient Motorcycling" are great books. Hate the binding on them though, they fall apart quick.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:04 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And for us with a hack - NEVER countersteer. Turn the front wheel in the direction you want to go. I think that's one of the reasons some seasoned two-wheel riders are unfortable with a hack on their bike - it presents at different set of bike riding physics. You didn't get to lean a hack, you steer the rig in the direction of the turn.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:33 AM
RanD
Tourer

Like I said on an earlier post, now that I read about countersteering from those who have learned the technique by reading books on the subject, I realize that I've been doing it for years without knowing it. It does sound like great reading, however. I think I might pick up one of those books.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:33 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I learned to countersteer as a child on my bicycle. Do any of you remember riding along the edge of the road or a sidewalk and the bike seemed to be pulling you toward the edge. Eventually you would slip off and crash. My cousin(a motorcyclist)told me to steer toward the edge of the sidewalk and the bike would magically go the other way. I was amazed at how well this worked. Been riding for 40 some years and it still seems amazing. I also still practice at it.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: RanD

This thread has been really fun for me to read. I grew up riding dirt bikes from the time I was about 12 years old. Until my wife took the Rider's Edge course before we bought her V-Rod, I had never even heard the term 'counter-steering' applied to riding a MC. Like many have said here, I practice emergency moves fairly often, and also like many have said here, I guess that I 'counter-steer' without even realizing that I'm doing it. I not sure, however, what the actual definition of counter-steering is when applied to riding a motorcycle. Can someone please explain it to me in detail?
Sure, I can do that.

https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=812056

Old 03-30-2007, 12:18 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

This thread has been really fun for me to read. I grew up riding dirt bikes from the time I was about 12 years old. Until my wife took the Rider's Edge course before we bought her V-Rod, I had never even heard the term 'counter-steering' applied to riding a MC. Like many have said here, I practice emergency moves fairly often, and also like many have said here, I guess that I 'counter-steer' without even realizing that I'm doing it. I not sure, however, what the actual definition of counter-steering is when applied to riding a motorcycle. Can someone please explain it to me in detail?

I use to teach MSFC and road race schools, the best
way to explain counter steering is:

it is totally opposite of your car, your car you steer
(turn) left to go left and your steer (turn) right to
go right.

On a motorcycle if you steer (turn) left you go "RIGHT"
and if you steer (turn) right you go "LEFT"

This is what kills or hurts riders in panic situations that
"think" they understand and can control the counter
steering of their motorcycle by instinct and automatic
reflexs (which they can not) if the drive a car more then
they ride their motorcycles

(which is why I don't drive my cars) I only ride my M/C

in a panic situation everyone will always do what they
have trained most to do which in most cases is to drive
a car. That is why all the practice you do on your
motorcycle may in a panic situation turn out to be not
near enough and your "down" hopefully not dead!

The best thing anyone can do to save themself in a panic
situation is put more miles by a bunch on their motorcycle
then they do in their cars every year!

Good luck and go reread my post on how practice your
counter steering! it works"

Old 03-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Rob2002
Tourer

I grew up on a bike. Started on a Honda 90 step through at about 6, dirt bikes at 12, went on to motocross, never had a lesson in my life. I've been on the street for almost 30 years. Now I'm worried that I'm missing something. Countersteering. I'm pretty comfortable on the classic but always open to improvement. Has anyone with a motocross background felt the need to take a course or get a book? I don't think about what I'm doing, I just do it naturally. It did take some getting used to the 800lbs but feels pretty good now.

Also, I can never predict what my wife will do at anytime with 100% accuracy. This could cause big problems if I have to dodge a cage or a critter. (We've got lots of them here) We came to an agreement that she sits back and enjoys the ride. I drive. Works for us.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: 211Chuck

I use to teach MSFC and road race schools, the best
way to explain counter steering is:

it is totally opposite of your car, your car you steer
(turn) left to go left and your steer (turn) right to
go right.

On a motorcycle if you steer (turn) left you go "RIGHT"
and if you steer (turn) right you go "LEFT"

Only to initiate the turn, make mid-turn steering corrections, and to exit the turn. After the intial countersteering rider control input, the trail built into the steering geometry permits the front tire to track the arc of the turn (that is, it is no longer countersteering, unless one of the other two conditions above applies).

Hey btw, nice to see other track instructors here! Where did you teach? I'm still over at Willow Springs, Streets of Willow, and Buttonwillow.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Dalejb
Intermediate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

Check it out if you want a formal definition

Quick Reply: Countersteering