Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King vs Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:43 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Rode open for almost ten years before finding a motorcycle windshield, kept most of the bugs off me, moved away from bikes for almost twenty years and bought a '03 RK. Was in love or so I thought, took two long distance rides, felt the need to remove the fatigue inducing buffeting behind the w/s, added all the deflectors, the HD triple tree ash tray, even lowers ending up with a batwing from DCC on it. Would ride locally without the shields and add-ons but never had any reason to be dissatisfied until I rode a buddies RGU. Had to keep looking down at the speedometer as I would creep up past 80 if I did not as there was so little turbulence around me. Then I noticed as I came up on a semi and a box truck the bike was still as a rock, no twitches in the forks, no control tension as I got into their slipstream and as I passed them was world of difference from the wing or the shield front ends.

End of story bought our '12 RGU a year later, only add-on was a Windvest windshield to divert the turbulence that was noticed at the top of my head up and away. Ride them both, your own decision.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:23 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

I've had two RKs but I loved my RG most.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:45 AM
jaxstatealum
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow - again, all good comments and advice. As for the new bike comments as to which rides better. For me, the RG is better because the weight is on the frame. Makes handling to me much better; especially at lower speeds.

I actually prefer the look and feel of the SG better in terms of accessories i.e. radio, etc, but...

I will make it a point to test ride - maybe for days a king before deciding. Again, all great comments and thanks to all!!

Old 05-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Craigmier
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty sure the recent model years CVO road kings have steroes with speakers in the lowers and lids of the bags, atleast they did on the '13. The 14 does not have stereo setup or lowers to my knowledge, which to me is a huge downgrade. If I get a CVO it better have a sic stereo setup. Not sure what they are charging so much for on the 14s when it seems they took away more than they added.

I would find a 2013 CVO if I was looking for a cvo road king. Though the road glide is the best riding bike HD makes. With proper windshield the ride for passenger is just as good as the rider on a Road Glide. I see too many people with the stock 6-8 inch road glide shield or a tiny lil Klockwerks shield on their road glide and I wonder how they get by with that, especially the passenger. When I upgraded to a taller FreedomShield on my glide I was amazed how smooth the air flow was for me and passenger, additionally the stereo was much louder and clearer. I am a bit of an audio enthusiast. I consider the shield upgrade a stereo upgrade as well. After doing that I have pushed off adding an amp and speakers to my lowers because I am having a hard time justifying it as my stock stereo sounds pretty damn good going 80 mph now that I have a proper shield. Money better spend on performance mods and cosmetic upgrades now

If you havent upgraded shield on your road glide I would try that before jumping to a Road King. Proper shield and lowers cant be beat on a road glide IMHO

Last edited by Craigmier; 05-09-2014 at 11:41 AM.