Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Slip Ons now decel popping

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014 | 09:29 PM
Whodattom
|
Advanced
Default New Slip Ons now decel popping

Just put a new set of RC-X 4" slip on's on my 2010 FLHX. I am experiencing a popping during decel. Everything is stock with the exception of the slip on's and XIED's. Is it possible I have a leak or is this pretty normal? Stealer's answer was a stage 1 flash at $200.

Old 05-05-2014 | 09:41 PM
swervin irv
Tourer

Save your money on the flash,set your xied's at 50% and ride it for about 50 miles......

Old 05-05-2014 | 09:43 PM
texaswiz
Banned

Originally Posted by Whodattom
Just put a new set of RC-X 4" slip on's on my 2010 FLHX. I am experiencing a popping during decel. Everything is stock with the exception of the slip on's and XIED's. Is it possible I have a leak or is this pretty normal? Stealer's answer was a stage 1 flash at $200.
If you didn't have the popping before you changed mufflers and now you do, you have a leak. More than likely you don't have the right torque on your muffler clamps and they are sucking when you let off the throttle. If your clamps are 3-4 years old or have been torqued a number of times, just bite the bullet and pony up the $10.00 each for new ones and use a torque wrench to put them on. The "Armstrong" method is not good enough. I am not surprised the stealer wants to charge you $200. for a flash. Ask them if you pay for a flash and it does not work if they will refund you?
I already know the answer to that.

Old 05-05-2014 | 10:38 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Whodattom
Decel popping does Not damage your engine...it is simply unburnt fuel that is burning in the exhaust tract after exiting the engine.

Decel popping occurs when one of two things are present.

1. The bike is so lean the exhaust is superheated and is burning the unburnt fuel that is in the pipes (there is always some unburnt fuel in the pipes no matter how lean). This is very rare.

2. The AFR IN THE pipes is just right to burn the unburnt fuel. This is quite a common occurrence when free flowing pipes are installed (whether or not a free flow A/C is installed). It can also occur if there is an exhaust leak that is introducing extra air into the exhaust tract.

Even if you like decel pop, like some of us, it is always a good idea to check for exhaust leaks.

Also, check for intake leaks at the air cleaner and at the intake manifold/heads.

Another way to change the AFR IN THE Pipes is to install Thunder Torque Inserts.

If you don't like decel pop, and don't want to change the AFR in the pipes by changing the baffles or adding Thunder Torque Inserts....

It is absolutely possible for a tuner and someone who knows how to use it to tune the decel pop out.

HOWEVER, the methods used to tune the decel pop out of very open pipes are almost always at the sacrifice of performance and/or MPG.

An open pipe with the best performance tune is almost always going to have decel pop.

Here is a link to a good overview of tuners-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

Old 05-06-2014 | 07:05 AM
14 FLHX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Decel popping does Not damage your engine...Another way to change the AFR IN THE Pipes is to install Thunder Torque Inserts. If you don't like decel pop, and don't want to change the AFR in the pipes by changing the baffles or adding Thunder Torque Inserts.... [/URL]
Would these work on cfr slip-ons?

Old 05-06-2014 | 08:00 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
This is quite a common occurrence when free flowing pipes are installed (whether or not a free flow A/C is installed).

It can also occur if there is an exhaust leak that is introducing extra air into the exhaust tract.

HOWEVER, the methods used to tune the decel pop out of very open pipes are almost always at the sacrifice of performance and/or MPG.

An open pipe with the best performance tune is almost always going to have decel pop.
I could not have said it better than this. Simple and to the point.

If NO exhaust/air intake leaks exist, then decel popping is a normal occurrence on bikes with exhaust pipe mods.

The only way to eliminate decel popping on a properly tuned bike is to DE-TUNE the bike!

Old 05-06-2014 | 08:22 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by texaswiz
If you didn't have the popping before you changed mufflers and now you do, you have a leak...
That's certainly not necessarily true. I have had the same mufflers for 50,000 miles and they have been off and on for various reasons many times, using new and used clamps. I have had the same popping the entire time. I could tune it out but I'm happy with the performance and don't mind the decel pop.

Old 05-06-2014 | 08:25 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

It can be tuned out without hurting performance.

Old 05-06-2014 | 08:35 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by 14 FLHX
Would these work on cfr slip-ons?
Yes, you will need to drill a hole right past the end of the baffle area to secure the TTI in the end of the exhaust tract. This can be done at the bottom while it is on the bike and will not be visible when looking at the bike. It can also be done on the side closest to the wheel, and be even more discrete.

Old 05-06-2014 | 08:39 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
I could not have said it better than this. Simple and to the point.

If NO exhaust/air intake leaks exist, then decel popping is a normal occurrence on bikes with exhaust pipe mods.

The only way to eliminate decel popping on a properly tuned bike is to DE-TUNE the bike!
This is true 99.5% of the time.

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
It can be tuned out without hurting performance.
This is true IF, and this is a big IF, the person doing the tuning knows what they are doing with a full fledged tuner, like the Power Vision. However, Most do not know how to do this. Instead they dump extra fuel in (to change the AFR in the pipe) and performance and/or MPG suffers.

Quick Reply: New Slip Ons now decel popping