Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Hot is Too Hot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:45 AM
slburgie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Hot is Too Hot?

Did a run yesterday two up on my 03 Classic near Sedona here in Sunny AZ. Noted the running temp was about 230 in 90+degree weather. Once we hit the mountain/hill areas the temp climbed to 275 degrees. Bike still ran fine but it was clearly getting hot. Took quite a while to get the temp back down while coming down from 7,000 feet. Is this overcooking the oil in this bike or considered normal temps considering the terrain covered?

Old 05-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Geat question. I live in the middle of the Mexican dessert. There have been times it has been 110 and above, but I still ride. Is this a bad thing for the bike???? I'm not a wrench and just want to know.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:03 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Synthetic oil will help a tiny bit if you don't already run it. Higher ambient temps and climbing at higher elevations will definitely give it a workout. A lean running engine will also add to the problem.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:25 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,883 Likes on 11,316 Posts

Many...many threads on this. Try searching this forum. A quick summary of you will find:

- there is no history of any bike failing because of overheating
- HD tests bikes by idling extensively in the desert
- only bikes with oil temperature gauges run hot
- put in synthetic oil, it has a higher breakdown temperature
- make sure EITMS is turned on. It is in the manual.
- consider adding cooling fans such at WardsPartWerks FCS fans.

Btw...my trike frequently went over 275 before the fans. Now with FCS fans it stays below 260. I can't quantify the temperature reduction with the fans. But, I'm guessing they reduced my maximum temperature in extreme conditions by at least 25 degrees

Old 05-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Most synthetic oil have a flash point of 445F, no problem at 275F.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

For all the legions of Harley riders out there who are paranoid about riding in hot weather... rest assured your bike is not going to melt down just because it is hot outside. You do, after all, have to keep it full of any brand of oil that meets the manufacturers specifications. There are probably a couple hundred different oils that fill the bill. Just pick one. You can pick an oil that costs $3 a quart or you can pay $15 a quart. As long as it meets the manufacturers specs it will be fine.

Your bike has an air cooled engine. The designers of the engine and the current engineers are familiar with the characteristics of air cooling. They fully realize that the bikes are going to run hot. So hot in fact that they are sometimes uncomfortable to ride in hot weather. They know that and design accordingly. Nobody abuses their motorcycle more than the factory does at their desert proving grounds. They ride them for hours in the scorching sun and then park them in direct sunlight and let them idle for 4 or 5 more hours until you would think they would seize up. They beat the hell out of them to make them blow up. Any cop who rides a Harley is going to give it way more of a workout than it is going to get when you or I ride ours. They let them idle while they hide under an overpass and then suddenly they jump on it and take off at 90 mph to catch some unsuspecting cage (or motorcycle). When they blow an engine it is seldom an issue with getting hot. And just because it will burn your hand when you touch it is no sign that "My engine runs real hot". Just ride and quit sweating all the small stuff. Pun intended.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
For all the legions of Harley riders out there who are paranoid about riding in hot weather... rest assured your bike is not going to melt down just because it is hot outside. You do, after all, have to keep it full of any brand of oil that meets the manufacturers specifications. There are probably a couple hundred different oils that fill the bill. Just pick one. You can pick an oil that costs $3 a quart or you can pay $15 a quart. As long as it meets the manufacturers specs it will be fine.

Your bike has an air cooled engine. The designers of the engine and the current engineers are familiar with the characteristics of air cooling. They fully realize that the bikes are going to run hot. So hot in fact that they are sometimes uncomfortable to ride in hot weather. They know that and design accordingly. Nobody abuses their motorcycle more than the factory does at their desert proving grounds. They ride them for hours in the scorching sun and then park them in direct sunlight and let them idle for 4 or 5 more hours until you would think they would seize up. They beat the hell out of them to make them blow up. Any cop who rides a Harley is going to give it way more of a workout than it is going to get when you or I ride ours. They let them idle while they hide under an overpass and then suddenly they jump on it and take off at 90 mph to catch some unsuspecting cage (or motorcycle). When they blow an engine it is seldom an issue with getting hot. And just because it will burn your hand when you touch it is no sign that "My engine runs real hot". Just ride and quit sweating all the small stuff. Pun intended.
Ya know, this is probably the best written and most complete post I have ever seen on this subject! Well written, sir! And it contains all the information that one needs...

Like he says...just ride...if it make ya feel better, put another oil cooler on it, put fans on it, but the engine is designed for it...

The following users liked this post:
NO4NJNK (08-16-2020)
Old 05-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,500 Likes on 2,683 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
- only bikes with oil temperature gauges run hot
WISDOM right there. Even tho I just got done putting one on LOL

Old 05-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Have seen as high as 325 degrees bike still runs like new.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:23 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

YOU will melt before the Harley will! Here is a video about their desert testing facility.

Quick Reply: How Hot is Too Hot?