Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is Aux light plug?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Bigg Lou
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Where is Aux light plug?

OK I have the '14 Street Glid Special. Just got a set of caliper mounted, LED Cool Driving lights from Custom Dynamics. Here is the link: http://www.customdynamics.com/billet...riving_Lights_

Very bright and simple to install. Upon receipt I picked up an aux switch from my local stealership and installed last night. Spent an hour reading the service manual as well as testing all available plugs in fairing even switching from left to right the dash mount for the switch, to no avail. For the life of me I cannot locate the plug for the aux/fog light on/off switch. I located the fender tip plug, the heated grip plug, the accessory power plug and that's about it. I ended up using a Posi connector tapped into the blinker light on the forks to get power to the driving lights. But of course I cannot turn on/off the lights, they stay on permanently.

Considering I paid $74 for this switch and don't always need or want the driving lights on I would like to connect to the aux/fog connector if I can find it. Anyone know which plug is for the switch? Got a pic of the plug or specific location?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:58 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Guessing could lead to problems.
You need a wiring diagram, like in the service manual.
I don't have a '14 manual so can't help you out.
I believe that on the '14 models the "aux plug" which was under the seat in earlier years is moved to behind the left side cover- this is the plug which on most models is controlled by what we call the "aux switch" on the lower dash panel, (or the nacelle on road kings).

If you are talking about the spot light wiring:

on past models the wiring for the spots from the switch is grey w/ black stripe.

the wiring to the switch is yellow, same circuit as the headlight low beam.

many of us use custom wiring solutions so that our high beams will work with the high beam, but I believe on the 2014 it can just be programmed by the dealer tech. no wiring splices, etc.
The 2014 uses a different wiring scheme than previous models employing logic circuits and relays

get your hands on a manual if you can, and trace through the wiring diagrams.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-01-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

If your using the switch on the left side of dash panel and on the left of that switch cluster, it is sending power to the plug located under each of the turn signal brackets. There is where if adding the HD aux lights they get plugged into the same connector as the turn signals.
Any other location on right or left side of the dash panel, these are wired to the 8 pin Aux connector located under the left side cover. You will need to acquire the Accessory connector from HD and ad additional sockets and run wire back up under tank to front forks...
I will send more info later from my previous posts explaining in greater detail

Old 05-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Bigg Lou
Tourer

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
If your using the switch on the left side of dash panel and on the left of that switch cluster, it is sending power to the plug located under each of the turn signal brackets. There is where if adding the HD aux lights they get plugged into the same connector as the turn signals.
Any other location on right or left side of the dash panel, these are wired to the 8 pin Aux connector located under the left side cover. You will need to acquire the Accessory connector from HD and ad additional sockets and run wire back up under tank to front forks...
I will send more info later from my previous posts explaining in greater detail
Great thank much. That detailed info would be very helpful. I am indeed using the left side dash panel switch cluster with the switch on the left of that. After reading over my service manual and inspecting all the wiring in the fairing I could find other plugs but not what was wired for or to that switch. I suspected the plugs on the same connector for the turn signals but it didn't make sense from the service manual and couldn't see how the switch would affect only those plugs and not the turn signals as well. I look forward to your "greater detailed post" before I tear open the fairing again. Again thanks.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:52 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

how many conductors to those plugs- ?

what colour are they?

with a wiring diagram, you should be able to trace them back

mike

Old 05-01-2014, 07:31 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Bigg Lou, if you have the service manual you should have found by following the wire schematic's the proper wire to use for AUX light control.
If you look at Figure B-8 you will see 4 pin connectors 31LB and 31RB with a GY/BK wire in position four that powers the AUX lights.
Figure B-9 shows the 4 socket end of 31LB/31RB in position 4 that color changes to BE/BK.
Following that it shows that it leads you to, See Main Harness 1 of 3 [1A]
On Figure B-10 [1B] that will lead you to See Main Harness w/Fairing Page 3 of 3
Figure B-12 that same BE/BK goes to the BCM that indicates AUX Light Power.

For the Switch all you need to do is plug your cluster into the left side and it is Automatically power up and wired to the BCM thus enabling the power out when turned on.
So instead of using your Posi Connector on the Turn Signal Running light lead you can install it on the BE/BK wire and it will be switched on and off.

If your handy with taking apart wiring sockets, you could purchase H.D. Part # 72910-11 SOCKET TERMINAL 20-22 AWG, and add them to the 4 socket connector for your turn signal adding the wire for your fork lights.

One last step, you can have your Dealership, using the Digital Tech change your BCM setting to have AUX lights on with High beam as well. Your switch will still turn them on and off, but they will no longer go off when Hi-beams are turned on.

Hope this helps.

You will notice in the switch cluster you purchased, two positions are blanked.
Following this thread you can see what I used them for.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/12280183-post19.html

Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Bigg Lou
Tourer

Thanks much GlidingJoe, lots of good and very useful info.

I did refer to my service manual and found those wires you refer to but when I used the Posi connector to briefly test the setup the lights stayed on and the switch although powered (pressed in lights up the aux on light) the lights would not turn off after pressing the button.

With your instructions I think I will get it right next time around. Unfortunately bike is home with me and service manual and tools are at my warehouse, so a project for tomorrow.

I also read your post link and very detailed, well done and a thank you as that is most appreciated. After reading and viewing your images I was wondering if you would make and sell another one of your custom harnesses?

Adding accessories would be pretty straight forward if you made those available for sale. I'll be your first customer and buy in a heartbeat!

Last edited by Bigg Lou; 05-01-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:05 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Bigg Lou,

Thanks.. I will put some thought to possibly making these up. I will keep you posted.
Joe

Old 05-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Bigg Lou
Tourer

GlidingJoe,

Thanks for the help on my spotlights. Turns out the wire I was using was the included wire harness for the addon chrome mirror w/ signal lights built in. Following further up the wiring harness I located the correct wire to tap into and all now works as expected.

Funny though I always ride with my Hi beam on and couldn't figure out what happened to the spotlights. They wouldn't turn back on and I thought they might be defective. I even called up Custom Dynamics to troubleshoot. Figured out that I had my Hi beam on and it would kill the power to the spotlights. So reading your post carefully again I notice:

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
One last step, you can have your Dealership, using the Digital Tech change your BCM setting to have AUX lights on with High beam as well. Your switch will still turn them on and off, but they will no longer go off when Hi-beams are turned on.
Is there anything special I need to inform the dealership of what to do or how to do it? Seems many things with the 2014 models the techs have no idea what to do or what is being asked of them, so I thought you might have some insight in the event I run into that problem. Thanks much.