Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eliminating a 2009 tail light- Street glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014 | 03:17 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain

Your riding a Harley, it doesn't get any cheaper than a 200 dollar fender and a repaint, or maybe getting lucky enough to find one the same color.

Old 05-01-2014 | 03:44 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior

Bigdaddychopshop, keep us posted as your project progresses.

Old 05-01-2014 | 03:50 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SFDonovan
Funny, I want to do the exact opposite and add a taillight from Custom Dynamics.
Agreed. I don't like the looks of the turn signals only but to each their own.

Edit: As far as people not reading, don't be a d*ck. Some people will give good suggestions even if it's not what you want to hear or what you've got stuck in your head. Lots here have "been there, done that" and have found the best way to do something already. Just some friendly advice.

Last edited by Bagger_Vance; 05-01-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2014 | 06:42 PM
Scaffido
Tourer

I believe Kuryakn make a trim piece and module to convert the turn signals to brake/turn and cover up the hole from taillight.

Old 05-01-2014 | 09:35 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Or just pop rivet an old innertube over the hole??? Good luck Hole.

Old 05-01-2014 | 10:10 PM
jaymiller5
Cruiser

You posted saying you are OK with doing the fab work, then get to it and start your welding up those holes and wiring the lights for turn/brake, paint the fender yourself so it looks smooth and be done with it cause that is the "cheap" way of doing what you want.

Originally Posted by Bigdaddychopshop
NEWb?, I hate that ****. Been riding longer than a lot of folks out there. Anyway, yeah, its not a help when you say the stuff I have covered as "I don't want to to this". Not a help at all.

Anyway, when I get it figured out, yeah, I'll post up. If I don't, I'll post up. Yaffee figured it out. I just want to keep the signals. I'll get it too.

For the record, not pissed, just irked that folks don't read. Telling me the same crap I just posted as "I want to do it anotherway from this" is seriously not a help. Who would think it is?

Old 05-20-2014 | 12:09 PM
Bigdaddychopshop
|
Novice

Eliminating a 2009 tail light- Street glide-photo-tail-3-.jpg

So I did a bunch more research, then started taking stuff apart. Basically, I am using the Harley brake/ turn/ tail intagrator kit, and I have a temporary bracket to hold the plate. A buddy of mine wants to CNC one and then market the idea. I told him go for it, as long as I get the first one. If he flops (or gets fired for running personal stuff at work) I am working on a mold to cast them in aluminum for myself. Anyway, the plate covers no issue, but the gap between the plate and the bar looks a bit "odd". Still looks better than that big *** light tho. Any way, still a work in progress. No paint work, no fender change. May go with a '10 up bar, but i dont know if the mounting is the same, suspect it is tho.

Old 05-21-2014 | 07:01 AM
Bigdaddychopshop
|
Novice

Met with my machinist last night and I think we have address the potential "goofy gap" between the plate and the bar.

It funny, you know? You have an idea, people laugh. You begin accomplishing it, they get quiet. The last step, from past experience is, once you KILL it, they rally around you. Anyway, progress marches on.

Old 05-21-2014 | 07:08 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior

troll alert...ignore

Old 08-21-2014 | 04:03 PM
Henry89
Tourer
Question

I just changed my 09 rear fender to the 2010 rear fender. In parallel I also changed out my handle bars. Problem I have know is that the rear tail & brake light stay bright. When I hit the front brake switch the rear brake lights go dim. When I press the rear brake peddle...nothing/no change in the rear tail & brake light. Since I'm now using a 10 rear fender and I have 09 electronics...the three pring plug that use to plug into the rear tail light is no longer used or pluged into anything. Not sure if this is contributing to my issues now. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Eliminating a 2009 tail light- Street glide