Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with 107 build kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:34 PM
ajpuck
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problems with 107 build kit

I purchased a 2013 Anniversary Ultra limited in November 2012. Had an 107 build kit put on it while it was in winter storage. Had it delivered in March of 2013 and started riding it. Shortly after that at around 3500 miles it started burning oil. Dealer said there was a ring sticking and that they fixed it. Got the bike back but it still was burning oil.

Dealer said that there was another bike that had a 107 build kit with the same problem. The dealer replaced the oil pump on that bike and said that it fixed the problem on the other bike. Dealer did same to my bike only it didn't fix problem. Dealer checked out the motor and said that the heads on my bike were porous. Dealer replaced heads. Still burning oil after heads replaced. Dealer then took bike in and replaced the pistons, rings, and jugs. Should've fixed the problem only it didn't. Came to find out that the rings that the dealer received were the wrong ones. Dealer had to put in the new "right" rings in and re-hone the jugs. Got to put on 700 miles before putting it up for the winter.

This Spring got the bike out and started riding it. Still burning oil. The service manager at the dealership told me that I needed to ride it for 2000 miles before the rings were fully seated. ????? A salesman at the dealership told me that the dealership isn't doing anymore 107 builds because of all the problems they had had with them. Told dealer that I'll play their game and get the 2000 miles on it but if after that it's still burning oil we'll be talking new bike or at least new engine!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:14 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 570 Likes on 397 Posts

That sucks. I can't see going to a 107 from a 103. Good head work,a compression bump and the right matching parts to a good cam and there isn't gonna be that much difference power wise. Hopefully they can do that for your motor......or they can pay someone else to do it right. Good luck......

Old 05-01-2014, 01:16 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

clowns.

it is fairly easy to diagnose the reason/ fault for a motor burning oil*.

the shop you use instead relies on replacing parts and guessing.

you need to find a professional tech who can sort out what work has been done, what needs to be corrected.

there are a number of different kits which give a 107" displacement. I am sure that not all kits are equal.
For instance, while I don't use their stuff, Fuel Moto has a good rep and we have had good reports on their 107" kit.

I would start with a tailpipe emissions test, and document the condition of you bike as it is now- it may help your case to be able to prove that the shop has done mods which violate Federal Emissions standards.
That may help you convince them to sort you out, rather than deal with the Feds. The bigger the shop is the more they have to loose.
If this is a H-D dealer, tell them you want a 110 or 120R motor

mike

* an air compressor is hooked up to an adapter screwed into the sparkplug hole, air under pressure is introduced to the cylinder with the motor at top dead center ( both valves closed)
if the air escapes into the crankcase, the rings are not sealing.
if air is heard at the exhaust, then the exhaust valve is not seating, if air at the intake, then the intake valve.

for a rider; oil smoke ( white) on accel is bad rings. oil smoke on decel is bad valve guides/seals

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-01-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:21 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard from a former dealer tech, now indy that there is a problem with the 107 builds and they are notorious for oil consumption. Something about movement in the rear cylinder not allowing rings to seat properly. Can be fixed, but with a lot of hit or miss solutions. I would agree 103 max, with other mods the horsepower would be close. I know that does you no good and wish you luck in finding the solution.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:46 AM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Do you have a list of Components that was used?

I had a big ring debacle when I was having my CVO cylinders bored to 4.060 (113).

In my discussions (over dinner) with a Reputable Builder, he brought up that they were having some issues with some 107 kits, and they were getting away from the 107s (tired of eating labor). He did mention that the S&S 106 Kits are good to go and very cost effective (rather than buying pistons, rings & boring cylinders) for the customer...

Old 05-01-2014, 05:14 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ajpuck
I purchased a 2013 Anniversary Ultra limited in November 2012. Had an 107 build kit put on it while it was in winter storage. Had it delivered in March of 2013 and started riding it. Shortly after that at around 3500 miles it started burning oil. Dealer said there was a ring sticking and that they fixed it. Got the bike back but it still was burning oil.

Dealer said that there was another bike that had a 107 build kit with the same problem. The dealer replaced the oil pump on that bike and said that it fixed the problem on the other bike. Dealer did same to my bike only it didn't fix problem. Dealer checked out the motor and said that the heads on my bike were porous. Dealer replaced heads. Still burning oil after heads replaced. Dealer then took bike in and replaced the pistons, rings, and jugs. Should've fixed the problem only it didn't. Came to find out that the rings that the dealer received were the wrong ones. Dealer had to put in the new "right" rings in and re-hone the jugs. Got to put on 700 miles before putting it up for the winter.

This Spring got the bike out and started riding it. Still burning oil. The service manager at the dealership told me that I needed to ride it for 2000 miles before the rings were fully seated. ????? A salesman at the dealership told me that the dealership isn't doing anymore 107 builds because of all the problems they had had with them. Told dealer that I'll play their game and get the 2000 miles on it but if after that it's still burning oil we'll be talking new bike or at least new engine!
How much oil are you burning in 1000 miles?
You do need to ride it for 1000 miles to fully seat the rings with a non synthetic oil.
Have they done performed a compression test and a cylinder leak down test to isolate the cylinder?
Are the installers properly prepping (cleaning) of the cylinders,pistons,and rings?
After confirming which cylinder or cylinders are an issue. I would confirm proper piston cylinder to wall clearance.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:02 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Another dealer that shouldn't be allowed to work on stuff...

Old 05-01-2014, 10:26 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts

Should have went with the fuel moto 107 kit and DIY.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:29 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your getting hosed.

Get the 103 put back in and walk away.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Primetime_2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crex39
I heard from a former dealer tech, now indy that there is a problem with the 107 builds and they are notorious for oil consumption. Something about movement in the rear cylinder not allowing rings to seat properly. Can be fixed, but with a lot of hit or miss solutions. I would agree 103 max, with other mods the horsepower would be close. I know that does you no good and wish you luck in finding the solution.

how does hillside and fuelmoto etc..... pump these kits out so often and have very few problems??? whos specific parts are they using?

Quick Reply: Problems with 107 build kit