Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Receipts after work has been done but none is given???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Receipts after work has been done but none is given???

Not trying to bash my new mechanic, however, I want to get some insight. I recently did some work on my new 14 SGS, see attached receipt. The total cost is over $2,800~ What was done, install new cams, pushrods, dyno, powder coat a few parts, forts, primary, trans cover, rocker boxes, and I can't think what were the other parts. Separately I powder coated parts as well that cost me $400, purchase the cams myself which cost me $220, new hand grips $60 and a few other misc parts that are not included in the mechanics bill because I paid for them separately. Now when he called me and informed me about the bill, I was a bit shocked because I didn't expect to pay almost 3k in work.. I offered to pay the mechanic in form of a check but he refused to because of "tax & business" reasons, so I took out $1,400 cash out of my atm accounts and I gave him a check for the rest which I will have to go back and pay the remainder in cash. He is holding on to the check until I give him the cash.

Anyway, my soon to be wife asked me why didn't I get all of the receipts for all the parts that the mechanic purchased I only have a receipt for the dyno, the rest is a hand written receipt which is posted. I called the mechanic and asked him to provide me with all of the receipts of all my parts that were purchased, he said that I already have them in a hand written form. I informed him that I would like to have the receipts for all the parts that he purchased and is charging me for, however, he wasn't too pleased with me wanting proof of purchase and apparently felt insulted because I inquired about them... I told him that it would be better for me to have receipts for insurance purpose and not just a hand written receipt but he again informed me that insurance would accept his receipt because a client had his bike stolen and the client provided a handwritten receipt to the insurance and he was covered... Well, I don't know how much of that story is true or not but I don't think that any mechanic would get upset for me wanting proof or parts exchange, parts ordered, cost, etc etc... $665 for powder coating parts!! and no receipt amongst other stuff!!!

Does this sound reasonable? Common sense tells me no, but this is an unusual bill... Not that I don't mind paying for the work but if I pay for the work I need to know where my money goes, so far???

Attached Thumbnails Receipts after work has been done but none is given???-receipt1.jpg   Receipts after work has been done but none is given???-receipt2.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 11:20 AM
troop8520
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... I'd still ask for a detailed receipt. As for the work done, did you ask him for a figure or ball park cost on what you wanted? If so, was he close to that? If not, lesson learned... I'm sure he didn't screw ya over, as long as the work is completed as you agreed on, and he will back what he did...

Old 04-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

You are certainly due an itemized receipt from his shop, on shop letterhead, specifying what he is charging you per item. That is reasonable and expected. You are not due nor would he be required to show you receipts for work he subbed out. The difference between what he paid & what he is charging you is his profit margin & that is nobody's business but his own. The only thing you need to be concerned about is the bottom line that he is charging you...ie his handwritten invoice. He is correct and has every right to be miffed if you push it...this is standard business practice. Liken it to expecting to see the invoice that your grocery store paid for the loaf of bread it sells you. Same deal.

Expecting to be paid in cash should have been clarified before the work was done. Again, perfectly acceptable...tho unusual these days.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:26 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

no receipt no money. how can you not have a receipt to check accuracy of cost. Also receipt good for resale purposes. I my opinion your mechanic sucks.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Grand-Dragon
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

You are right to question him. Anytime, I feel like something isn't right, I know it's called instincts and intuition kicking in.

Is this guy a legit licensed mechanic or a shade tree buddy of a buddy you know?

I'm sure by law he needs to provide a receipt to you. If he doesn't want this transaction on the books, then I see problems in the future. How can he stand behind his work? How can he warrantee and guarantee your satisfaction? What if a part fails and he takes no responsibility?

This isn't a $200 dollar lesson for a cosmetic change on your hog.

You having reservations for a reason. This is shady.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:40 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

I see an itemized receipt in the OP-what's the problem? Also,no charge for "shop materials" is standard on most jobs,to cover cost of penetrating oil,shop towels hand cleaner,etc. this stuff costs money too. Your mechanic shorted himself by a few bucks.

Last edited by hdbob2006; 04-28-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Just went thru an insurance claim as a lady totaled my bike.Trust me you want detailed receipts and make sure your insurance has a rider for custom parts.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

That is the receipt that I would normally have gotten from my old mechanic (RIP). He would normally show me the retail price of the part then he would write down his price.

Normally he was 10% or more below retail so I didn't question his cost. Now asking for the make and model of the parts he used and then making sure they where not over retail that is another thing. But asking him to show his receipts on the purchases is going to far.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:55 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Why were you "shocked" at an almost $3k bill?
Why would you have someone do that much work and not have a quote that you would both agree to?
I see nothing wrong with the receipt you were given.

The customer has no business knowing what the shop owner pays for parts, only that the final bill is the same amount that the quote was for.

Last edited by ElectraGlideSteve; 04-28-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:55 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I see this as more a communication problem.

many shops and trades people are not so good at paperwork- and i've got plenty paperwork for flooring, roof and motor rebuilds of similar quality.

we think that we are pretty happy with the work right?

OP I think you might be happy if you take the time on your computer to type it up as you'd like to see it, and then ask him to sign it.

you can substantiate cash payments if you have a bank withdrawal slip or similar.

you can't force a business to accept payments by check or credit card- maybe he's been burned, maybe he doesn;t have the margin to give up 3% or 5% to a CC company

as for insurance, if you have an agent, you should take the time to run through these changes with them and ensure coverage.

experience taught me that in case of an accident, the insurance co. is not your friend. and you should be prepared to prove each part of your claim.

and a written quote or estimate is always best.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-28-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Receipts after work has been done but none is given???