Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Receipts after work has been done but none is given???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:41 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Frogprince
That is the receipt that I would normally have gotten from my old mechanic (RIP). He would normally show me the retail price of the part then he would write down his price.

Normally he was 10% or more below retail so I didn't question his cost. Now asking for the make and model of the parts he used and then making sure they where not over retail that is another thing. But asking him to show his receipts on the purchases is going to far.

Well he is after all an older guy, kinda old school dude so maybe thats the reason but still he shouldn't have an issue with me wanting to see a detail receipt. I'm not saying that he needs to show me his profit margin etc but at least give me what I am asking for. Not much to ask on my part...

Old 04-28-2014, 08:48 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master

Originally Posted by Frogprince
That is the receipt that I would normally have gotten from my old mechanic (RIP). He would normally show me the retail price of the part then he would write down his price.

Normally he was 10% or more below retail so I didn't question his cost. Now asking for the make and model of the parts he used and then making sure they where not over retail that is another thing. But asking him to show his receipts on the purchases is going to far.
Going to far? He volunteered to purchase the parts because it was easier for him plus a bit cheaper. So am I asking for too much just because I questioned a bill and I want to see what I paid for, regardless of whatever profit the mechanic made from those parts. As a consumer I have the right to know, don't I? I guess that I wasn't too clear with him, however, I wasn't expecting a $2800 bill either but I see how things could add up afterwards but with that being said, as a consumer we all have the right... and thats the law isn't it?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:21 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

The invoice the mechanic gave you looks a lot like the invoice I get from the indy shop I use. I really see no problem with it except the guy's name isn't at the top. I don't expect to know how much the shop pays for parts and I know a certain amount of profit will be built in for the shop. The costs he's claiming don't look out of line. I always get a price beforehand and I always tell the shop to call me if they run into difficulties that will raise the costs more than 10 percent over the estimate. That keeps these little surprises from happening. I would request that the owner stamp the name of the shop at the top of the receipt for insurance purposes. The only accepting cash thing bothers me a little, but that needed to be worked out beforehand.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:22 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
Going to far? He volunteered to purchase the parts because it was easier for him plus a bit cheaper. So am I asking for too much just because I questioned a bill and I want to see what I paid for, regardless of whatever profit the mechanic made from those parts. As a consumer I have the right to know, don't I? I guess that I wasn't too clear with him, however, I wasn't expecting a $2800 bill either but I see how things could add up afterwards but with that being said, as a consumer we all have the right... and thats the law isn't it?
No its not, you hired a shop, there is no law that says he cannot profit. I took a long time to build my vendor list. And get better pricing. I am fair with my customers but they can pound sand if they think they will see my invoices

Old 04-28-2014, 09:26 PM
badpig173
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only thing that looks out of place on that bill is the $665 for powder coat.. so unless you had a lot of stuff powder coated it seems about right.. a tuner and dyno here in Indianapolis is $500..

Old 04-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not sure what you want to see, but I'm starting to think you might want to see his receipts for the parts he purchased for the job you purchased from him. Note the distinction between his purchase and your purchase.

He's obviously been in business awhile, as I have, and has learned that absolutely nothing good can come of this no matter how fair he has been with you. Customers who do this are almost always looking for a starting point to be an instigation. If something looks way out of line that's one thing, but you're out of line asking to see what his prices are if that's what you're doing.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:19 PM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The invoice looks fine. Just as there is no expectation for you to see the invoice for what he paid for primary fluid, you have no right view sublet invoices. It is normal and expected for a mark up on sublet. If there is a problem with the sublet work, it is his responsibility to make it right. You would not be expected to work direct with the sublet shop. He had to arrange to find the vendor, communicate with them, and somehow get items there and back. He has to stand behind the work. He deserves to earn a living, whether selling parts, labor, sublet or whatever.

Only thing wrong in the deal, is the shop's lack of communication. You can't commit to a service, if you do not know what the charge will be. If you signed a $1300 estimate, final bill was $3000 without your authorization, that's a problem. Looks like a ton of work was done, and the price may be fair for what he did, but you don't do this all the time. How could you know? Even if you kept calling him back and adding stuff to the job, he is responsible to get your ok for however much extra money it is.

It's unreasonable to expect you're ok with the final bill, if you were not advised of revisions. Different states have different laws, but in general as changes came up, he should have documented how much extra you authorized, what service, date/time got the ok, and how (ie: phone#/in person)

Old 04-28-2014, 10:57 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

What's the shops name?

Old 04-29-2014, 12:08 AM
chgofirefighter
Road Master

Originally Posted by riderideride
The invoice looks fine. Just as there is no expectation for you to see the invoice for what he paid for primary fluid, you have no right view sublet invoices. It is normal and expected for a mark up on sublet. If there is a problem with the sublet work, it is his responsibility to make it right. You would not be expected to work direct with the sublet shop. He had to arrange to find the vendor, communicate with them, and somehow get items there and back. He has to stand behind the work. He deserves to earn a living, whether selling parts, labor, sublet or whatever.

Only thing wrong in the deal, is the shop's lack of communication. You can't commit to a service, if you do not know what the charge will be. If you signed a $1300 estimate, final bill was $3000 without your authorization, that's a problem. Looks like a ton of work was done, and the price may be fair for what he did, but you don't do this all the time. How could you know? Even if you kept calling him back and adding stuff to the job, he is responsible to get your ok for however much extra money it is.

It's unreasonable to expect you're ok with the final bill, if you were not advised of revisions. Different states have different laws, but in general as changes came up, he should have documented how much extra you authorized, what service, date/time got the ok, and how (ie: phone#/in person)
No communication or fair warning was given. I wasn't even asked how much I wanted to spend/invest or be at. So the bill did take me by surprise a bit, however, I am not trying to start a problem or instigate one but to be fair the shop owner/mechanic should at least asked me, "hey this or that, cost, etc" communication is key to avoid any problems, its that simple. The powder coated parts were listed on the receipt and yes $665 not counting an additional $400 on my end without the mechanic for powder coating, so go figure. Lesson learned on my end..

Old 04-29-2014, 12:56 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I think the bottom line here is your not happy. You're not happy with the way the bike pops after dyno tune. At the end of the day you might want to find a different shop.

Quick Reply: Receipts after work has been done but none is given???