Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Receipts after work has been done but none is given???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I know a lot of guys that are cash only and have nothing shady going on or nefarious tax evasion schemes in the works. Think about it, if you run a small shop and get burned by a few bad checks then you probably stop accepting them. As far as the credit cards go the shops I know that don't accept them just straight up don't want to pay the fees associated with them. Maybe the case with this guy made not but I don't have a problem with cash only shops, it should have been established up front like some others have stated though.

As far as the receipt goes that looks exactly like what I have gotten in the past from indies. Doesnt really matter to me if the guy prints it out or it's hand written as long as it's itemized.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:25 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had a few receipts like that. Never bothered me. That mechanic should at least invest in a stamp so he can stamp the generic invoices with his shop information at the top and make it a habit to write the part numbers for anything he can.....

Asking for a receipt showing parts numbers he used is acceptable, but asking for his receipts for the what he purchased from his vendors is not in my opinion.

Last edited by modes; 04-28-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Needs a business name or his name, and address, in the top corner and your VIN number. Part numbers where applicable could save some begging if insurance gets involved also. Otherwise it looks fine.

Some guys here seem a little high strung.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:52 PM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as price, what did you work out ahead of time with the mechanic?

In terms of the receipt, I think that's a perfectly acceptable receipt. Some small companies do handwritten receipts, some do computerized. It seems itemized and legitimate to me.

I have a question though. Did you get any of the parts back that he was supposed to pull out of the engine? In most states that is your legal right, and it may verify whether or not the work was actually done.

Many small companies want cash only. My inclination is to believe that they are avoiding taxes, as I know several people to do that. But it could simply be that they don't want to pay credit card fees, and they don't want to get burned by bounced checks.

On this one, I'd go with your gut. There's no evidence that you got screwed, but if you feel you did, that could speak volumes. Worth of this guy gives you the heebie jeebies, you should have felt that before giving him your bike.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
Some guys here seem a little high strung.
Some guys haven't been doin' the Harley thang too long, I think...this is the way it's been done for generations!

Old 04-28-2014, 04:02 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by baldguy13
My inclination is to believe that they are avoiding taxes, as I know several people to do that.
just because your people do it that way doesn't make it wrong. Small businesses are just like big businesses, there to make $. If they wind up paying ridiculously high cc fees and bounced check fees, that eats into the bottom line very quickly. Take for example PayPal. 3 - 4 % unless someone gift funds you. Doesn't mean you're skipping on taxes, just likely to mean that you're putting more $ in your pocket to pay those taxes instead of giving it away to big business

Old 04-28-2014, 05:33 PM
ronherman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the receipts I used to get from a mechanic back home. Looks good to me. I expect them to make money on my parts just like I make money on the materials I buy for my customers.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 PM
RussH
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by veekness
some guys haven't been doin' the harley thang too long, i think...this is the way it's been done for generations!

bingo!

Old 04-28-2014, 06:20 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Requiring cash is perfectly acceptable. Business that accept credit cards always have that in plain sight on a table or on the door/window. Would you have wanted to pay another $90 or so to cover his credit card merchant fees? Merchant agreements vary. He may not have strong credit rating and would be denied. Or he might have been burned by people whose check didn't clear, or disputed credit card payments based on buyers remorse.

As far as the receipt I side with the majority. If it lists what he installed, how much he charged you, and his name or business info thats all you need.small business people are not always that polished or organized.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,588 Likes on 973 Posts

Wow this thread bothers me in many ways...

First the OP says he wants a detailed receipt but shows us one that lists all the parts and prices - how much more detail does he want?

Second people assume paying cash is a bad thing. Whenever I hire someone to do a big job I always ask if there is a "cash price". It usually is a lot lower we both make out. I notice the OP didn't pay sales tax on that bill. Are you going to send the money to the state you live in?

Third, OP leaves the shop happy then comes back a day or two later complaining because the wife thought you spent too much. I don't think you won any good customer prizes with that mechanic...

I would like to see a picture or two though...

Quick Reply: Receipts after work has been done but none is given???